Power of attorney or similar if husband/wife ??

boomerang

Jun 13, 2012
Morning I have over last 8 months with my Mom dementia and she is now in a nursing home and appiled/now have power of attorney for her In December my husband had heart attack and we then talked would I need to get power of attorney for him should in the next coming years he get dementia or is there a similar thing a wife or husband would get for future illnesses or being married either party doesnt need it we have joint names on home money etc really worried as I have no one other than mom and husband and I am now making myself very upset worrying on this thinking I might need to sell my home in the worse senario am I worry over nothing ??

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You and your husband could have a mutual power of attorney Boomerang which means either of you would be able to take charge should the need arise.

boomerang

Jun 13, 2012
You and your husband could have a mutual power of attorney Boomerang which means either of you would be able to take charge should the need arise.

So we would just go together to solicitors and they would sort it out not as hard as power of attorney and probably cheaper thank you for your reply

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Umm - it won't be cheaper or easier though, because it is still a power of attorney. Well in fact, two powers of attorney. I have to say - if you are planning to do this, please ensure that your LPA's are drawn up in such a way that there is are replacement attorneys named for both of you. You really do not want to be in the position of having (potentially) your husband attempting to act for you should something happen to you (god forbid) if he had developed dementia.

Having said that - even if you didn't have an LPA for your husband and he became ill, your home would never be considered when it came to paying care so please don't worry about that.

boomerang

Jun 13, 2012
Umm - it won't be cheaper or easier though, because it is still a power of attorney. Well in fact, two powers of attorney. I have to say - if you are planning to do this, please ensure that your LPA's are drawn up in such a way that there is are replacement attorneys named for both of you. You really do not want to be in the position of having (potentially) your husband attempting to act for you should something happen to you (god forbid) if he had developed dementia.

Having said that - even if you didn't have an LPA for your husband and he became ill, your home would never be considered when it came to paying care so please don't worry about that.

That is exactly what has been at the back of my mind I havnt said anything to my husband but he is alot older than me and with my Mom going suddenly through this and having to sell her home to cover bills I was thinking oh goodness is this what could happen and I would have to sell our home to fund his portion or vice versa ofcourse as for additional attorneys I would not have one for me as I have no other family to do it would have to be solicitor but if your sure the home is ok and not taken into account here in the U.K. then I wont stress anymore as I have been really struggling with everything and started to think of what if this or that now happens which is ridiculous way to be living Thank you you have made my mind so much easier will now try to forget and live for today over a year ago I would never even have thought about dementia how quick it can take over peoples lives its a real learning curb

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The only time a marital home ever becomes an issue is when one spouse has gone into care and the other spouse decides to downsize. In that situation 1) you'd need either an LPA or a deputyship if the person in care wasn't able to sign the appropriate forms and 2) 50% of the home value potentially becomes available to pay for care. However, if you don't want to sell the marital home it is disregarded indefinitely, and you don't have to worry about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moniqueishere