Power of Attorney for health and welfare - for info only

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I'm posting this for anyone considering applying for POA for health and welfare. Please consider applying for it, as well as POA for finance and property. I know it's an extra expense, but when your loved one loses capacity, it's well worth having.

The Mental Capacity Act is unknown territory for some professionals.

I've had to apply for copies of Mum's medical notes - without it, it would have been a challenge to get hold of them. Medico-legal issues are not something you think about when your loved one is first diagnosed; but none of us can predict the future.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
I'm posting this for anyone considering applying for POA for health and welfare. Please consider applying for it, as well as POA for finance and property. I know it's an extra expense, but when your loved one loses capacity, it's well worth having.

The Mental Capacity Act is unknown territory for some professionals.

I've had to apply for copies of Mum's medical notes - without it, it would have been a challenge to get hold of them. Medico-legal issues are not something you think about when your loved one is first diagnosed; but none of us can predict the future.

I couldn't agree more Spiro. My OH was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years ago and decline has been steady.

He has just been told that he needs to go for a colonoscopy after abnormal bowel cancer screening results. After talking to OH, the consultant said that he lacked the mental capacity to sign the consent. He just couldn't show any understanding of what was going to happen. I was just so glad to say that I had LPA and could sign.

I just didn't think I would need it so soon and had never realised that I would need it to sign consent for other smaller procedures along the way.

Please consider getting one of these in place.

JJx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton

I had Deputyship for my husband and only Financial and Legal but I had no problem obtaining copies of all his GP notes and hospital notes. In fact, I spent nearly a whole day reading 3 massive hospital files which were put at my disposal in the hospital records department. a lady then photocopied any documents I wanted to keep.

I wanted to see the notes as I was applying for CHC funding and all I had to do was to send a copy of my Deputyship authority.

I have to say that I met no problem with health professionals nor the hospital or Nursing home and was involved in all his care. I was told by a solicitor that as next of kin, I should always be consulted anyway.

I don't say this to detract from your stating that H&W LPA is important, because it obviously can be but just to reassure anyone who doesn't have it, that all is not lost.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Saffie, I had the same experience; I was always consulted and had no problem with asking for records. Actually, each time Pete was sectioned I was sent his records and care plan without asking! Data protection was never mentioned. Maybe we were both lucky.

Love

Lyn T XX

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Poa

I didn't understand or hadn't heard of one but understand now why my sibling got us one. It has become invaluable in speaking with hospitals and consultants, once they know you have one it's totally different. They are certainly worth getting.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
And for those living in Australia you can download all the forms from the government website and after you have completed them, you get your signatures witnessed by a appropriate person.

Our local pharmacist witnessed ours and the whole process never cost us a cent.

There is also assistance available via phone should you require additional information.

autolycus

Apr 13, 2015
Kingston on Thames
I would urge anyone with responsibilty for a parent or other relative who is no longer able to handle their own affairs to set Lasting Powers of Attorney for both finance and health matters. The forms are lengthy, and the system is not tolerant of error, so look for professional guidance in making your application. I believe SAGA offer a service for LPAs - worth ckecking