Power of Attorney for financial affairs

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by dawsonc, May 31, 2015.

1. dawsonc

dawsonc Registered User

May 31, 2015
    Hello - I wondered if anyone has any experience of having the above, and converting it to include medical. My Dad is showing some signs of having some memory issues and other mental issues, that may or may not be early signs of dementia, and from what I read on here, it is important to get this arranged before he is formally diagnosed. If anyone can give me advice, I would be grateful.

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    You can't convert or add, they are two quite separate applications to the OPG.

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    It's imporant to get it early but a diagnosis is no hindrance. What matters is that he still has the mental capacity to understand in the moment what it is he's signing. You can fill in the forms online or in hard copy, charities can help you if you get stuck. But it's not as daunting as it looks and in my opinion no solicitor is needed for that part.