Power of attorney blocking information as to my sister's welfare

hardwicke7

Sep 14, 2015
Hi,
I am new to this forum. My sister was diagnosed with Vascular dementia following deaths in her family in close succession. When my sister was showing signs of dementia I suggested to her that she set up a power of attorney. She replied that she only had one daughter left and as they have never got on she felt that she and her partner would help themselves to her money. (Her daughter told me that she hated her mum and couldn't bear to be in the same room as her). I explained to her that she could have a joint p.o.a. with one of her sisters and she asked if I would do it for her. I said I would.
Events moved quickly and my sister was soon diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. I mentioned to her daughter what her mum wanted in terms of p.o.a. and she immediately said she did not need me to help as she could do it herself. (I genuinely feel that she thought I was looking to benefit - which is so far removed from the truth) I explained to her that in was in my sister's best interest.
Since them communication with her daughter has stopped. She will not let us know how her mum (my sister is getting on) My sister lives over 300 miles away from me and I try to visit each month. Her daughter has blocked the care home from giving me any information about my sister. I spoke to my sister's doctor and he arranged with my sister that he could talk to me and my sister also signed a letter to this effect. This has now been rescinded and I don't know where to go to get information on my sister's health and general welfare. (other than my monthly visits)
I wrote to her psychiatrist and they too have said that they cannot discuss my sister with me.
Whilst visiting last week, I noticed that my sister's toenails were extremely long and growing over her toes, also her hair was in a bad way. My sister has always coloured her hair and it is shameful to see her neglected in this way.
If anyone has answers please advise me as to where I go from here.
My sister's welfare is my only concern.

Thank you in advance.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Hardwicke

It is always difficult when there is family conflict.

Your niece is next of kin and there is little you can do about access to information other than to visit your sister regularly and comment to the staff at the home anything which concerns you.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Has she got financial and health and welfare LPA? Without the latter, I don't see how she can legally prevent you from seeing your sister. Have you asked the care home on what grounds she has blocked information?

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Hi,
I am new to this forum. My sister was diagnosed with Vascular dementia following deaths in her family in close succession. When my sister was showing signs of dementia I suggested to her that she set up a power of attorney. She replied that she only had one daughter left and as they have never got on she felt that she and her partner would help themselves to her money. (Her daughter told me that she hated her mum and couldn't bear to be in the same room as her). I explained to her that she could have a joint p.o.a. with one of her sisters and she asked if I would do it for her. I said I would.
Events moved quickly and my sister was soon diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. I mentioned to her daughter what her mum wanted in terms of p.o.a. and she immediately said she did not need me to help as she could do it herself. (I genuinely feel that she thought I was looking to benefit - which is so far removed from the truth) I explained to her that in was in my sister's best interest.
Since them communication with her daughter has stopped. She will not let us know how her mum (my sister is getting on) My sister lives over 300 miles away from me and I try to visit each month. Her daughter has blocked the care home from giving me any information about my sister. I spoke to my sister's doctor and he arranged with my sister that he could talk to me and my sister also signed a letter to this effect. This has now been rescinded and I don't know where to go to get information on my sister's health and general welfare. (other than my monthly visits)
I wrote to her psychiatrist and they too have said that they cannot discuss my sister with me.
Whilst visiting last week, I noticed that my sister's toenails were extremely long and growing over her toes, also her hair was in a bad way. My sister has always coloured her hair and it is shameful to see her neglected in this way.
If anyone has answers please advise me as to where I go from here.
My sister's welfare is my only concern.

Thank you in advance.

You can report your concerns to the Office of the Public Guardian

https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy