Postponed holiday

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have been looking forward to an early April holiday in Spain, meeting up with a cycling friend who lives there in the winter. But the uncertainty over coronavirus has led me to cancel my trip. I don't want to be away from home when my wife remains vulnerable to potentially serious illness. Nor do I fancy the prospect of being marooned in Spain due to being infected myself, a definite risk when staying with hundreds of others in a large hotel. The mountains and sunshine will have to stay on hold until more settled times.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I too think that is a wise decision. Friends were still planning to head out to Majorca next week when I saw them last Friday. At least if we are locked down here I can put turbo in the garden (if not raining)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
i'm planning to paint & garden so all weather options covered!
Full freezer & stocked up as thought we might have a cold snap like last year when we were snowed in twice!

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I’m booked to go majorca on the 22nd and now I’m thinking not going because I’m worried I might not be able to get back easily. One other thing today on local social media there were several care homes in my area who are closed to visits. I rang the council run home where my OH is and was told oh nothings changed just visit as normal, when I got there I mentioned why I’d phoned and they didn’t know any had closed to visits, I do despair at times, well most of the time actually!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is a pity, Northumbrian_k, but a sensible decision in the circumstances. I hope you get a chance later in the year to make up for it.

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
It has occurred to me that care homes are not going to be taking people for respite stays during this epidemic? Has anyone heard anything about this? I had to cancel my March break as the home my OH goes to was full but I’m thinking my June break may not happen either. ☹️

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Some care homes in Scotland are not letting any relatives visit, and are on lock down, so not sure about respite visits. My step dad who is 85, lives near Dover, and I was going in May, but going to give it a miss in case I pass something on to him.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
There was no visiting hairdresser at my wife's care home today as Covid-19 restrictions have started to be implemented. Those who like me visit often have been asked to reduce the frequency of their visits and to telephone before visiting. This seems sensible along with taking precautions such as not visiting if one has symptoms. The position will be reviewed and may be tightened. I doubt if my wife will notice. She was happy enough when I was away for 10 days this time last year and comprehends far less now.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Today I got a phone call to confirm that all visits are off for the time being. That eases my concern about passing the virus on to my wife, her fellow residents or the staff. But after months of visiting 4 times a week it will be hard not being able to see my wife.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have been looking forward to an early April holiday in Spain, meeting up with a cycling friend who lives there in the winter. But the uncertainty over coronavirus has led me to cancel my trip. I don't want to be away from home when my wife remains vulnerable to potentially serious illness. Nor do I fancy the prospect of being marooned in Spain due to being infected myself, a definite risk when staying with hundreds of others in a large hotel. The mountains and sunshine will have to stay on hold until more settled times.
We have just received an email from bridge playing friends of OH and they went on a cruise to the Antarctic. They were away for three weeks without putting into any inhabited places but were denied entry to both Uruguay and Argentina so they have now set sail for France! They don't expect to get there for about three weeks and have absolutely no idea of what is going to happen when they get there. The shipping line is French so the Captain thinks he will be able to dock.

I think you made a wise decision in staying home.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Not long after I cancelled my hotel and transfer I was informed that my flight had also been cancelled. I am now wondering about my holiday in June.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Golly @lawson, your friends are having a bit of an unintended adventure. I think re-arranging holidays for the rest of the year is probably sensible. We're due to go on one in May and should be paying the balance today. The holiday company's website thinks it will be going ahead, but I very much doubt it, and have asked if we can move it to next year. I'm going with the same company to the UK in June but I'm waiting to see on that one, though I guess that probably won't happen either.
At least I guess you can still get out on your bike @northumbrian_k , unlike the citizens of Paris.