Posting & responding.

Penmon79

Oct 24, 2016
North Wales
Can anyone tell me please why I sometimes get a window when I try to submit a reply or post which says that it's too short and to increase by 1 character? I add, pointlessly, but still the same message comes up.
Thanks.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Afraid I've not come across that problem before. Hopefully someone more technically minded will be along with ideas!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope this won't confuse you! I think I know what I mean but it might not make much sense to anyone else!

When you wrote your response did you click on the respond to member button? If you did that person's post would appear as a quote. If you then start to type your response within that quote then try to submit reply you will get the error message saying too short. It doesn't recognise that you've typed something new because it is within the quote.

Please just ignore me if that makes no sense at all!:rolleyes:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Actually I have done this and it is because I have started typing in the title box, does that make sense?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Yes that makes sense. I just typed something in the title box and pressed submit and got the too short message.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree with Izzy, TP will now accept a post of one character.

However for clarity 'respond to member' has been replaced by 'reply and quote post' when using a browser.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The respond box isn't the title box though. I can understand that being confusing. I do not know why we even have a title box for a reply, it's totally not necessary.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The respond box isn't the title box though. I can understand that being confusing. I do not know why we even have a title box for a reply, it's totally not necessary.

I think Tin was just meaning that if you type in the title box in error you get that message when you click submit.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I beg to differ, Beate and Saffie[

The title box can be useful in a reply. I agree though that it is only rarely made use of in this way. But if you make a mistake in the headline it can't, it seems, be corrected!

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope we haven't scared Penmon79 away with all of our suggestions and thoughts!:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The title box can be useful in a reply. I agree though that it is only rarely made use of in this way. But if you make a mistake in the headline it can't, it seems be corrected!

I suppose it can remind someone what the thread is I supposed to be addressing when it has wandered off topic.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
If I am reply to a particular person within a post, I will often put their name in the title bar so that they pick up on it.

.... and yes, I have also made the mistake of typing a reply in the title box by mistake!!

Nice to know that others make the same boobs as me!!!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So is it the title of your particular post you are supposed to put in then?
I've always assumed it's the title of the thread!
Hence my thinking that is a bit superfluous.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So is it the title of your particular post you are supposed to put in then?
I've always assumed it's the title of the thread!
Hence my thinking that is a bit superfluous.

Yes, it's for you to put in a title for your own post if you wish to.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
That's what I thought - it's just there for people to make use of it if they want to.

It may also be that it's just simpler for the box to be there as otherwise there would have to be two different boxes available, one with a box (for the thread title) and one without and you would have to choose the appropriate box.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I think Tin was just meaning that if you type in the title box in error you get that message when you click submit.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant, and I have just done it again before adding to this thread. Sometimes I get so excited to say something I forget to press my tab button to get me out of the title box, I just start typing!!!!!

Penmon79

Oct 24, 2016
North Wales
Well, I didn't expect such a big response!
No, I'm not confused - at least I think not......
As I recall, on both occasions this has happened I've responded to a specific comment rather than posting a 'comment' but I really don't think that it was added to someone else's post. I'll try to concentrate next time. It's just that it's not happened before.

I might just give up trying to respond if I can't resolve it.
However, thank you for all your replies.
Susan

Penmon79

Oct 24, 2016
North Wales
Yes, that is exactly what I meant, and I have just done it again before adding to this thread. Sometimes I get so excited to say something I forget to press my tab button to get me out of the title box, I just start typing!!!!!

Just testing now!