Posted LPA applications to register to OPG: What to expect next?

Severine

Jan 8, 2013
Hello

I have just posted LPA applications (to register) to the OPG. I have been so fixated on achieving this (I did the paperwork myself and had diffiuculty obtaining the necessary proof of low income from my father who has Alzheimer's so it has taken weeks) that I have not really looked beyond this. Can anyone tell me, do they acknowledge receipt of such applications? If registration goes smoothly what do I get sent back in the way of paperwork? If anyone has experience of this, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you. Sev.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Sorry i got mum's done via the solicitor, but i did get the POA (financial/ welfare) back within 2 months which apparently is quite quick.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
If I remember correctly they wrote to say they had received the paperwork (also at some point to say it was all ok), and gave me a reference number to use to pay by card on the phone, then they sent the certified paperwork back.

Took about 8 weeks in all and was very straightforward. They are also very helpful if you do need to phone them.

Helen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Carabosse you're in Scotland though so yours would have gone somewhere else.

According to the justice website, the current turnaround time for LPAs is 9 weeks.

dizzy the cat

May 29, 2012
South Hampshire, UK
Hi Severine,

I have recently posted an Enduring Power of Attorney (as oppsed to a Lasting Power of Attorney) for registration at the OPG on the 17th January.
I received a letter from th OPG on the 25th January saying that the registration was due on the 22nd February and I should receive the document back within 3 weeks of that date.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
They may be different, but mine went to the OPG (£70 to register the document), i had to call the woman who signed it the other day for clarification on a couple of points on whether the SW could do certain things.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well there you are - as I said even the fee is different. It's £130 for the rest of the country. I realise it's confusing as they have the same name (Office of the Public Guardian) but they are totally separate.

The address for the OPG in Scotland is

Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland)
Hadrian House
Callendar Business Park
Callendar Road
FALKIRK, FK1 1XR

For England and Wales

Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
Birmingham
B2 2WH

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
True, just happens to be 2 OPG's, one North of the Border and one down South, both do the same thing for some reason the fee is different, why i have no idea?