Postal Vote

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Went to vote this morning and the lady (not of the village) who took my name asked rather curtly when my husband - who is still on the list although I had notified the District Council of his death at the time - was coming to vote. I replied equally curtly - he wasn't allowed a postal vote in Heaven and his bus pass had been rescinded! That shut her up.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Went to vote this morning and the lady (not of the village) who took my name..."

If the lady was the Presiding Officer or a Poll Clerk as opposed to a person at the door (legally outside) I would complain to the Electiorial Office at your LA. People at the entrance are party workers.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That really was unnecessarily rude of her. What business of her is it when or where or why not someone votes?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
How upsetting for you.
If this person was the one who checks your Details and entitlement to vote then IMO you would be entitled to complain as it is she should not be asking

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
"Went to vote this morning and the lady (not of the village) who took my name..."

If the lady was the Presiding Officer or a Poll Clerk as opposed to a person at the door (legally outside) I would complain to the Electiorial Office at your LA. People at the entrance are party workers.

Actually surprised that still happens as it's years since anyone has been taking names at the door of polling stations round here. My mum was very politically active and I think the idea was to identify people who hadn't voted so they could be contacted and often offered transport to the polling station later in the day.

If they are party workers they wouldn't have any way of knowing that someone on the electoral roll has died or is unable to vote for any other reason. So they should be a bit more sensitive. There's no excuse for being curt, and I remember the party workers were always told to explain that there was no obligation at all to give them information.

Always feel my mum on my shoulder at election time, reminding me how important it is to exercise my right to vote. Now I tell my daughter the same.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agreed that in the past the party workers were trying to identify people who it was worth sending a car to collect. Now a days they are just part of an exit poll which can be pointless as many people refuse or just give the name of the 'screaming lord sutch' type of candidate. Postal votes also cam make the exit poll pointless.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Someone came to the door this morning and asked whether I had voted yet. (Yes). And would I mind telling her who I had voted for?
(Sorry, that is private. )
Funnily enough she did not ask OH, who had answered the door!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I thought that my husband's name was removed from the electoral register when he no longer was liable for Council tax. He certainly never received another voting card.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH is exempt from council tax but still receives his polling card. It's almost impossible to remove someone from the list unless you take them off the electoral roll, and I wouldn't do that.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I phoned to ask for Bill to be taken off the electoral role and explained why. I was told that his name would remain on but he wouldn't get his voting card. We both used to have postal votes. I got my postal vote card as usual and they sent a card for Bill to take to the polling station!:confused:

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Agreed that in the past the party workers were trying to identify people who it was worth sending a car to collect. Now a days they are just part of an exit poll which can be pointless as many people refuse or just give the name of the 'screaming lord sutch' type of candidate. Postal votes also cam make the exit poll pointless.

Pointless is the right word, meaningless activity if that is actually what they are trying to do. May explain why we don't see them round here though, stuck in an impregnable safe seat where the result sadly is not in doubt.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
As my husband was in a nursing home before another election came around, perhaps it went there. He wasn't able to go to vote anyway and I heard nothing about a postal vote. I really don't think he was capable of knowing where he put a cross or what it was for quite honestly, so it would have been pointless anyway.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
A member of my family got a voting card for our address and one for where they are living...

Makes a mockery of the voting system me thinks....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point