Post vaccine decline

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
My father had his COVID vaccine yesterday. Really annoyingly we had to travel about 25 minutes to the venue which wasn't terribly wheelchair friendly. Got back to find out our local surgery (2 minutes up the road) proudly announcing they had vaccinated 220 people that day....

Anyway, we were told to take him off his Parkinson's medication as it didn't seem to be having much of an effect and he has yet another UTI for which he is on anti-biotics for. As a result, he's almost entirely unable to walk unassisted, keeps thinking he needs the toilet but can't go when we eventually get him onto the toilet and he fell out of bed a couple of times. He's running a slight fever, which is a noted side effect (Astra Zeneca) so we've dosed him up with paracetamol. He wants us to call an ambulance (and I admit there's a part of me that would like the break!) but we got very little sleep last night as his alarm and lifeline went off several times.

I find it very difficult to be patient with him, as I'm suffering from a bad cold (which I've had for weeks now so don't think it's COVID) and I've never functioned well on lack of sleep. Just wondering if anyone else was seeing the same after-effects?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A friend of mine had quite severe symptoms after her vaccination @spandit. She doesn`t have dementia but she is mid 80s and has a lot of underlying health conditions.

She had three days in bed feeling really rough and then the symptoms eased and she is now fine.

I hope it will be the same for your father. If you are below par yourself it will be tough for you.

Scotsfloat

Dec 28, 2015
My Mother is 91 and has been in a Care Home for the last five years. She is very frail and in an advanced stage of Alzheimer's. Despite this she has been on a plateau for quite some time, however a few days after her first vaccination she had quite a substantial seizure; something she hasn't had for at least three years. We did wonder if this was somehow connected to the vaccination. In addition, my friend's father had vascular dementia and died within three weeks of his first vaccination. Perhaps coincidence, but I guess there isn't any way of knowing for sure.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Alzheimer's OH aged 77 had Oxford jab over a week ago and no noticeable effects. Possibly a little lethargic for a day or so ,(but also coincided with snowfall) . Hope this is reassuring.... some may be unlucky and react badly but I know of no one who has had bad reactions either to Oxford one or Pfizer, and know a fair few over 75s ( not PWDs) who have now had, including one man with long-term respiratory shielding issues. Interested to know if others do experience issues. Lord knows, none of us need extra problems. Do hope it protects, and my heart goes out to anyone with lived one in care who you haven't been able to visit. This may change if vaccines working.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @spandit It sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment, and from what you have posted the 'decline' in your father occurred prior to the vaccination, and is a result of a UTI? You might find this link helpful as it describes common side effects and also advises to ring 111 if concerned. Does your father have a high temperature? In relation to feeling feverish it says:

Although feeling feverish is not uncommon for 2 to 3 days, a high temperature is unusual and may indicate you have COVID-19 or another infection.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...hat-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Another dreadful night last night. Took us an hour to get him back into bed after he fell out at 2am. His temperature settled down quite quickly and wasn't that raised to begin with. His bed alarm went off again at 5am but he had just rolled off the pad and was still asleep. This morning he was still quite confused but had filled his incontinence pad in the night. Got him back into bed with some difficulty where he promptly announced he needed the toilet again. Fortunately, his mobility was far better than last night and he managed to go without too much difficulty.

Neurology appointment tomorrow although quite early which is going to be a real struggle getting him there in time. I tried asking for a later appointment to be told the next one was in April

gadfly

Apr 26, 2011
London
My husband had quite a severe allergic reaction to his first Pfizer Vaccination on 15th Jan. The next day he started to have projectile vomiting which continued intermittently for several hours whenever he was moved. Over the following 2 days it became clear that his balance was severely affected and we fell together as I was helping him to stand. He has had 2 other falls since then. He then had to be nursed in bed and transferred by hoist from bed to chair etc over the next 3 weeks. At last 4 weeks later his balance has improved and he can walk more or less unaided in the house. He is 10 years post diagnosis now and aged 82years.
I have read on the excellent Zoe covid 19 app that systemic effects can be more severe with the second dose of the vaccine so am thinking that it would be safer not to give him the second dose. I have not yet discussed this with our GPs but intend to soon.

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
I've heard that the second dose of Pfizer can give worse effects but the second dose of AstraZeneca isn't so bad. I don't know whether there is enough data regarding mixing the vaccines yet

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My Oh had the Astra Zeneca towards the end of January and slept pretty much for the next 2 weeks.
I took it that, that was a sign his body working overtime producing antibodies.
He falls asleep a little earlier in the evenings now but all in all no problems.
It's strange because I know of carers knocked off their feet for about 3 days when given the Pfizer but those I know who are older and had the Astra Zeneca haven't suffered much at all.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my daughter had the pfizer one [frontline staff] and her arm hurt for a long time but my husband had the astrazenica one and other than a sore arm, that was relieved with paracetamol, he has hardly any side effects. dont know if its an age thing, husband 72 and daughter 26 or type of vaccine or even type of person you are. with my daughter, she has another 3 weeks after the first.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
My 72 year old husband and 32 year old daughter both had the Astrazenica jab. Husband didn't even get a sore arm whereas daughter had very painful heavy arm for 2-3 days and headache! It's the same when he and I have flue jab - he gets nothing whereas I can't use my arm for 2-3 days!