Post Inquest procedure

myss

Jan 14, 2018
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I know it's not the best time to bring up such a subject but it's been on my mind from before Christmas.

The inquest into my dad's passing was held around the start of this month and I had been corresponding with the Coroner before then so they had my email address. I went there with my siblings and could have sworn the Coroner said, after reaching his verdict, said he would register the death, asked for my permission to share with the Registrar my email address (to send the death certificate?), and that the certificate should be received in 14 days. I've received nothing and assumed that it would take longer due to Covid-19 difficulties but one of my siblings thinks that it's something you have to apply for. I thought if you need copies (we don't as we had an interim certificate from the Coroner) that's what you apply for.

Has anyone been through a similar inquest experience? I believe it is different to usual registration when a next of kin registers the death.

While I am here on this subject, I'll share something with you about the inquest experience that made it a bit more comforting.

While an inquest was somewhat upsetting as you're relieving your loved ones last moments alive and their background, one of my other siblings concluded afterwards that it felt like the funeral you arrange for them was like the personal way of sending your loved one off, whereas the inquest was that official line to do the same. It made me feel that it was right to attend, to relive those moments, sort of like paying off a long termed bank loan, having a little party as you pay that last instalment and then getting a letter from the bank officially declaring that the loan is over and everything is now settled. Dad would have like that example as he was one who didn't like loans but if he had to use one, paid them off asap! RiP Dad, our first Xmas without you.

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @myss Sorry to hear of your dad's passing but glad the inquest brought some comfort. I don't have personal experience but the Government website explains the process for obtaining a death certificate after an inquest:

After the inquest, the coroner will confirm the cause of death to the registrar.

The registrar will register the death.

You can ask the registrar for a death certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/wh...eed proof of,certificate to apply for probate.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you for your replies. I will just get in touch with the Registrar and see what they say. Another sibling thinks we were told that it would be ready in 14 days - although that doesn't explain why the Coroner asked about my email address.