Post dementia

Heather777

Jul 24, 2008
Bristol
Following my dads death in March I have been on a very bizarre journey. I had a black and white image of how my life would become my own now after 7 years of care for my parents. It hasn't been easy, it is hard dealing with all of the intenseness of care and setting a new purpose. All of my siblings are at various stages of grief.

I do feel like Im walking in treacle- I went to a friends dads funeral and it makes you feel a deep sense of sadness for yourself. People around forget you are still in grief and they wonder why I drift into my own world. I realise I need to face up to the fact that grief for the death of my lovely mum is now hitting me.

My sisters and I are off to Florida for 2 weeks in 7 days. This is a post dementia holiday-I have a level of fear about it. We wont be able to ignore 'us'.

Thank goodness that as human beings we are a resilient race!

Heather

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Gosh, Heather, that trip to Florida sounds a very good idea. I hope you and your sisters have a wonderful time together and can start to plan more life-enhancing adventures. To be honest, I don't think we ever 'get over' the experience of dementia, but I think there are many ways to find new and fulfilling paths afterwards. I hope you find some for yourself. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Heather

I should imagine the sadness will always be somewhere, lurking, ready to surface at any time.
But what we do in moments of ease are important and your holiday sounds a wonderful idea.
It will give you a change of scene and environment and if there is any peace of mind to be found, I believe it will be found there.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The holiday sounds very therapeutic. While there,is is too early for you and your sisters to reminisce about times spent with your parents before the dementia took over all your lives? Happy memories? That will lift your hearts and bring a measure of acceptance for you all maybe. I hope the holiday is a positive experience.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Heather,

March is such a short while ago compared to 7 years of caring for your parents and umpteen years of having them in your life. You have had so little time to adjust to life as it is now without them and as it could become. I can imagine that you do have a level of fear about the holiday because this is a completely new experience and the unknown. At least you are giving yourself the opportunity to experience it and I can only hope that you are pleasantly surprised by what you experience. I certainly will be very interested to hear how it is for you. These are the first months of this part of your personal journey without both parents and I wish you well as you travel your path.

Love

Heather777

Jul 24, 2008
Bristol
Thanks

Thanks for your support-it is good to hear from those who know what I mean! I am hoping after my last work day that on Friday I will begin to wind down from everything and begin to look forward to my holiday.

I will go with out too many expectations but hope to come back tired but refreshed and ready to face the next chapter.

Thanks again Heather x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09