Post care depression and illness

jfmb

May 25, 2014
Is this the norm ? After dealing 24/7 with Mum's Picks and vascular dementia for 7 years through Dad's death from cancer, she went into respite care as I was becoming very ill. The nursing home couldn't cope with her the mental health and social services people at long last realised exactly what I had had to deal with. It took 2 months to find anywhere that would take her full time and this home is well not ideal to be generous. But why oh why after her being there almost 3 months do I feel like this ? My body has just given up on me my arthritis is 100% worse as is my CFS - the first few weeks i was OK just very worried about her, i am so depressed it's like she's died but dare i say it worse. Is this just me - I'm sure, well hope it's not. I don't feel guilty every day just very ill and so down.Where can i get help?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi jfmb

Sorry to read of your situation. I understand it very well. Post caring for I don't know how many years, I became very sick too with dementia and CFS symptoms and can no longer work:(

I agree when you say it is worse than if your Mum had died:(

Is your GP supportive? Maybe they can suggest something or a Carer's organization that may offer some respite for you, sounds like you need some pampering and looking after. You forget, push aside your own needs when caring for someone with dementia, time you got a little selfish and spoilt yourself a bit.

Keep posting here , it helps more than anything that others understand.
Best wishes and hoping you feel better very soon
Sue:)

jfmb

May 25, 2014
Hi jfmb

Sorry to read of your situation. I understand it very well. Post caring for I don't know how many years, I became very sick too with dementia and CFS symptoms and can no longer work:(

I agree when you say it is worse than if your Mum had died:(

Is your GP supportive? Maybe they can suggest something or a Carer's organization that may offer some respite for you, sounds like you need some pampering and looking after. You forget, push aside your own needs when caring for someone with dementia, time you got a little selfish and spoilt yourself a bit.

Keep posting here , it helps more than anything that others understand.
Best wishes and hoping you feel better very soon
Sue:)

Thank you Sue - I have a new GP who's very new to the job, but I will contact the Carer's organizations - just because she's in a home I'm still her carer/guardian ! thank you again - Julia

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I know what you mean about becoming sick.
Everytime I have a bit of respite Im always ill. Its as if my body knows that its safe to be sick

jfmb

May 25, 2014
I know what you mean about becoming sick.
Everytime I have a bit of respite Im always ill. Its as if my body knows that its safe to be sick

Exactly - I am just falling apart - was very unwell before. My mother's in great physical shape though !