Possible symptom of Alzeimers or something else - help please.

elizabeth20

Dec 28, 2013
Hi,

My mum had memory clinic this week my husband took her as I couldn't. The consultant was reviewing her new meds Memantine which she has been taking for 6 weeks 5mg at first then up to 10mg last week. He has now stopped this medication as well. Please read below and see what you think.

Mum is 90 in her own home with carers visiting and has been diagnosed with Alzheimers for 3 years with symptoms presenting themselves at least 3 years before that.

My question to anyone out there in TP is that she constantly complains of a fuzzy head with a feeling of tightening pressure. She describes been able to hear her own voice in her head (it make sense to me) and she sounds croaky at times.

This has gone on for over 2 years and it is her main complaint the GP has reduced blood pressure tablets we had grommits fitted as she had glue ear (and I thought that would cure it) the consultant has taken her off Donepezil due to dizziness then introduced her to and took her off Galantamine only after a few weeks due to a slight fall (due to a UTI as it turned out) She then hadn't had any Alzheimers meds for 6 weeks then he introduced Memantine.

At this weeks appt. she complained about her fuzzy head again and kept on complaining about her fuzzy head and how she couldn't stand it so guess what - yes the consultant told her and my husband to stop taking the memantine as it wasn't really doing any good.

As I have knocked on many doors including GP, Cardiologists, ENT and Memory Clinic over the last 2 years and have tried absolutely everything in my power.....still on a daily basis my mum complains and is distressed about the fuzzy head with tight pressure - could this be a symtom of the Alzheimers and something that we/she is going to have to live with or do I keep plugging away at the medical profession until something else is suggested.