Possible self-isolation policy

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
Hi On the news this moring it stated that 'at some point' the Govt will ask the over 70s to self isolate. Am I not the only one thinking that this just isn't possible for most of those with dementia? I have to visit my Dad in his supported-living flat twice a day to see that he takes medication and to change his pad. If I phoned to remind him I have no confidence he'd do it and he struggles with the pads anyway (he has poor eye sight). You can't replace visits with phone calls. I heard Joan Bakewell inteviewed yesterday about this and she went on about online shopping and Skype calls. I can't help but think that she wasn't very representative of many elderly people and probably none who have dementia. I intend to keep visiting Dad and just hope I don't go down with the virus.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can`t see how people who really need help and support can be abandoned. I`m sure it`s all about using our common sense to help stay as safe as possible and keep those who need support stay as safe as possible.

If NHS and Social Services help isn`t available then family support is the only option.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Its a worrying thought though I get the idea behind it I am really worried about it and also about places being put into lockdown and going out being restricted. My mum is 72 and has alzheimers and I visit every day to give her her tablets and make her dinner and mainly to keep her company and check she is doing ok and not doing something shouldn't. She could stay at home but I would still need to visit her very day and do her shopping, pay her bills, go to chemist etc for her, which I do now, sometimes with mum sometimes without. Its no problem going without her but I don't drive and go over every morning on 2 buses then at evening hubby comes after work and has dinner and we go home in car. So even though she'd be isolated we wouldn't be and so could still be taking germ in to her. Which I do worry about now but don't have an alternative.
My inlaws are both over 70 though in good health, they get there money out of post office, shop a bit most days by bus in next village or town or locally, pay all their bills locally, they do not have internet or proper bank cards so can't do online shopping or online bill payment. Hubby or his sister could order online shopping for them and I suppose they could call and give details of bills over phone for us to pay online and pay us back later and they do tend to keep a well stocked pantry so could probably manage for a while on whats in there already, they have each other for company so they could possibly manage a little better than mum though I think it would still be a struggle, especially mentally as they like to get out for a little while most days.
If staff are ill or fear for their safety from coming into contact with infected people online shopping for delivery could be suspended or we could just not be able to get delivery slot due to high demand. If lots of people get ill then goods won't be being made, or delivered, or shops might not have staff to work so eventually things could get really difficult. I think its more the effects of what we do to prevent virus has on daily life that I'm worried about than the virus itself at the moment.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
i would like to think that you‘re correct about them not abandoning people who need support, but I’m not sure of the practicalities. The Health Secretary, yesterday acknowledged that they needed to consider carers, but I had the idea he was talking about paid carers who visit, not the army of unpaid carers that we are all part of. I am worried that we will be left to paddle our own canoe, as usual.

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
Its a worrying thought though I get the idea behind it I am really worried about it and also about places being put into lockdown and going out being restricted. My mum is 72 and has alzheimers and I visit every day to give her her tablets and make her dinner and mainly to keep her company and check she is doing ok and not doing something shouldn't. She could stay at home but I would still need to visit her very day and do her shopping, pay her bills, go to chemist etc for her, which I do now, sometimes with mum sometimes without. Its no problem going without her but I don't drive and go over every morning on 2 buses then at evening hubby comes after work and has dinner and we go home in car. So even though she'd be isolated we wouldn't be and so could still be taking germ in to her. Which I do worry about now but don't have an alternative.
My inlaws are both over 70 though in good health, they get there money out of post office, shop a bit most days by bus in next village or town or locally, pay all their bills locally, they do not have internet or proper bank cards so can't do online shopping or online bill payment. Hubby or his sister could order online shopping for them and I suppose they could call and give details of bills over phone for us to pay online and pay us back later and they do tend to keep a well stocked pantry so could probably manage for a while on whats in there already, they have each other for company so they could possibly manage a little better than mum though I think it would still be a struggle, especially mentally as they like to get out for a little while most days.
If staff are ill or fear for their safety from coming into contact with infected people online shopping for delivery could be suspended or we could just not be able to get delivery slot due to high demand. If lots of people get ill then goods won't be being made, or delivered, or shops might not have staff to work so eventually things could get really difficult. I think its more the effects of what we do to prevent virus has on daily life that I'm worried about than the virus itself at the moment.
I agree with all you state, there are many elderly who really need the visits, either just to help with food/provide company or for more essential reasons such as giving medication. I also worry about how we are all going to keep up with all our normal duties. I think we will just have to carry on as we are until it gets worse then I really don't know what will happen.

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
i would like to think that you‘re correct about them not abandoning people who need support, but I’m not sure of the practicalities. The Health Secretary, yesterday acknowledged that they needed to consider carers, but I had the idea he was talking about paid carers who visit, not the army of unpaid carers that we are all part of. I am worried that we will be left to paddle our own canoe, as usual.
I agree, it all seems to be about care homes and paid carers. Perhaps one upside of this is that it will shine a big light on all the work families do as if we have to stop I don't think that much commercial or State help will be available.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I emailed my MP yesterday about this very thing. It's all very well saying to self isolate but in reality it's not possible for everyone as I pointed out and asked what contingencies they have. At a push I'm sure I could manage my OH by myself but for how long is anyones guess. The up side is if I can manage reasonably well then care calls will be cut saving OH a fortune.:)

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Just heard a lady on my bus saying she is worried if tell over 70s to isolate because she is 75 and visits her brother every day for medication and cook for him and do his housework and she is worried she won't be allowed and then how he will cope. Both her and brother are in age group but he needs her visits.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I emailed my MP yesterday about this very thing. It's all very well saying to self isolate but in reality it's not possible for everyone as I pointed out and asked what contingencies they have. At a push I'm sure I could manage my OH by myself but for how long is anyones guess. The up side is if I can manage reasonably well then care calls will be cut saving OH a fortune.:)
Just what I thought! Four days looking after dad .The care group can do the other 3.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Quite apart from the practicalities of all over 70s self isolating for months at a time I think it’s incredibly unfair to stigmatise this age group who are already invisible enough. I understand the thinking behind this but surely it should be left up to the individuals and their families to decide? I think if we’re sensible this crisis can be managed. At the moment it seems like mass hysteria.

I’m not over 70 but I do have asthma. I’m more aware of the risks of infection at the moment but...