POSSIBLE MILD DEMENTIA ASSESSMENT

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
My GP referred me to memory clinic but they wish to conduct a telephone assessment. Due to family being present, difficulty concentrating etc this would be hard. Any thoughts please

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning.

I understand that might be quite difficult for you. Is there any way you can be in a room by yourself to undertake the assessment using a mobile phone? I’m sure that staff at the clinic will understand the difficulties presented by this.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Please try and get the courage to try. It is about communicating information to start the process of receiving help if required.
If I remember correctly mums first assessment was a lady who just asked a few questions and did the ‘ what is the queens name’ and can you remember this road name’ test.
Mum did exceptionally well and achieved a ‘borderline’ and the lady didn’t want to progress her, I wanted her progressed. (Happy days!). Not.
For the next stage we went to an office and she did a test where they show you a picture of a camel and you have to name it! And other pictures obviously.
If the process progresses you will eventually get a brain scan which can give a real insight as to what is going on.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Good morning.

I understand that might be quite difficult for you. Is there any way you can be in a room by yourself to undertake the assessment using a mobile phone? I’m sure that staff at the clinic will understand the difficulties presented by this.
Good morning.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Thanks for your replies. I have hearing aids both ears and my mobile is not suitable for this. I cannot find or use a spare room as family keep coming in and out. I will ask the assessment team if I could meet them at an appointment.
My GP has already conducted a mini assessment by asking questions and has referred me to memory clinic because I could not remember a name and address and also concerns have been raised by my wife about my memory

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
As a hearing aid wearer I understand your dilemma @stevew. I can hear OK if I put my Mobile on speaker phone, or maybe you can use What’s App or similar technology to see the doctor at the other end. Even though I can’t lip read as such, just seeing someone helps me. If you do need to use your landline, can you put that on speaker phone and just have one member of your family there who can double check you’ve heard correctly. Certainly I find in stressful situations my hearing loss becomes worse, and I need my husband to interpret for me as I understand his voice. I think it is unlikely you will be able to have a meeting in person with anyone for a while, but this telephone consultation could be a useful first step, so worth doing if you can.
Now you’ve found Dementia Talking Point, keep posting, as you’ll find a lot of support here.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Good Morning Stevew,

I'm with Sarasa on this. You should go for it, but I would say that you do need to see them too! I'm profoundly deaf and can not take, or make calls. If I see the person, It helps, but i think it is also important that the doctor can see you too! So much can be gained by your face and body, without words.

I hope all goes well!