possible insight

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I was diagnosed with Alzheimers just over a year ago. Whilst largely independent (there are those who may query that!) I have been ruminating over something having read the forums.

I have extremely vivid, detailed and specific dreams which I can recall in great detail (I take Doneprazil) I have noticed that there is a blur beginning between what I dream and reality in my awake state. I can now understand why PWD say things that seem out of context with everyday living/possibility. For instance last night I was with long lost relatives and friends in places I have not been for over 50 years. So if I was having a confused day today (I'm not!) I would be talking about this and insisting I WAS RIGHT. So is this the origins of the confusion?

Would be interested to read what carers think - plus anyone else with early symptoms.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Dunroamin . I think there are several reasons why people with dementia insist something is true when it is not. Confusing dreams with reality is certainly one of those things.
Its good that you have insight and can see these possibilities

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That does sound quite likely, Dunroamin. Dreams can seem very 'real'.

I think also people with dementia recall something they see on TV, or something that another person has said or done, and import it into their life as their own experience.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Dunroamin , when my mother in law was diagnosed with Alzheimers the local nurses offered a 6 week (1 day weekly) course for family and carers. One of the discussions re memory really made me think. The nurses said that memory for a person with dementia does not always follow a straight line, there will be gaps in the memory and the mind fills in what seems most appropriate. This filled in part can be memories of how a certain situation is usually resolved, dreams or what a person would like to happen. If the things a pwd remembers from earlier in the day is from a radio or television program, but they do not remember where the memories started it is not surprising that everyone gets confused.