possible home looming.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
I was wondering what will happen to the mother in law if her husband ends up in a home, he seems to be developing signs that this will be likely in the possible near future. I dont think she has any real money behind her but she does receive a amount for her husband due to what he has. If he has to go in a home will they stop his money and use it to pay for the home? I really have no idea about thie and i dont think she has any idea either. She is a big spender and is always buying stuff for the house etc and im just wondering how she will be affected?

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I was wondering what will happen to the mother in law if her husband ends up in a home, he seems to be developing signs that this will be likely in the possible near future. I dont think she has any real money behind her but she does receive a amount for her husband due to what he has. If he has to go in a home will they stop his money and use it to pay for the home? I really have no idea about thie and i dont think she has any idea either. She is a big spender and is always buying stuff for the house etc and im just wondering how she will be affected?

In general if someone goes into care with LA funding I believe they contribute most of their state pension plus half of any private pension. Attendance allowance and carer's allowance would also no longer be paid. LA funding would only be available (a) if SS assess him as needing residential care and (b) he has capital of less than £23,500, excluding the house if his wife continues to live there.

There are lots of TPers much more expert than me on this topic; if you can give a little more information about the situation they can give you specific advice.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
well he has alzheimers and parkisnons , he was told about 3 yrs ago that he only had a small section on his brain for the alzheimers. Anyway im pretty sure she does not have 23,000 maybe a few but thats it. but they do get carers allowence i think, most of their income comes from what he gets. Thats why i was asking what state of affairs she would be left in if he has to go into a home.They own there own house but she would still live there i assume. I forgot to say that he is starting to see people now , the parkinsons has always seemed the most prevalent disease he has.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If he goes into a care home and they have little or no cash assets then your MIL will have to depend on state benefits. Perhaps she could call into a CAB office and ask them what this would amount to. I assume that currently they are getting Attendance Allowance and council tax reduction. If not make an application for AA.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
well my husband says most of the money is made up from his pension but i know she doesnt get any credits as such as she has too much coming in,I think she may be getting attendance allowance though.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In that case he must have a high pension and perhaps an occupational pension. Has she no pension of her own? Once you have attendance allowance you apply for council tax reduction regardless of your income. If he has dementia he pays no council tax at all. Your MIL would pay the single persons contribution which would be 75% of the whole tax or a smaller portion if she has little or no income. His income is not included.

You need to get some expert advice from someone who can look at their total position and sources of income.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
If the Husband has over the upper limit of £23,250.00 (in his name only plus 1/2 of what they have jointly) then your MIL's Husband will be self funding. If he is self funding he will still be able to get attendance allowance.

If the Husband has below the £23.250.00 he will be part funded by the LA. He weill not get AA. He will contribute all of his state pension and half of any occupational pension-the other half of his occupational pension will go to your MIL. In addition MIL's husband will contribute a percentage of his savings below the £23,500.00 upper limit until he gets to £14,000 approx. The house will be disregarded if your MIL continues to live there.

Take care

Lyn T

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
I think they will have joint account and they only have money they get each month, no savings or assets apart from the house but of course she would stay there. I assumed they would take all of his money to pay for the care if he does end up there and i think he will at some point.So is there a limit to what you can have coming in each month in pensions etc ?So maybe if you had 2000 a month coming in would he still have his money taken to be used for the care home?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Yes! All of his state pension and half of his occupational pension-whatever the amount.

I hope others will know different but that is my understanding

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
Ahh right thanks for that, so i think she going to get a shock when she finds out that this will happen. She says he is getting worse lately and it seems more quick. She is planning to put him into respite for a few days soon so she can get a rest as hes up alot in the night and has been having falls, i think the parkinsons side of stuff has probably taken over his body more than his mind but there is confusion there but not as big as my own mother of course. I think he has that lewly bodies thing anyway which is think makes them grow worse. He has been on tablets for a good while now but i think maybe they are not working, certainly they have not worked in my own mothers favour as she has got worse over time.
I know she will have to pay for the respite for i was thinking that if a home is what is needed he will have to pay.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
SHE does not have to pay for respite or care home, that goes from HIS money.
What is left over for her to live on if he goes into a home permanently depends on her level of savings and which benefits she can apply for. Allowances will stop if he is not self-funding so get proper advice from CAB, Carers Centre, Age UK or any other charity that gives free advice. She will have to reign in her big spending anyway if it's from his money and not hers as that might be classed as deprivation of assets.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
Well yeah thats what i mean, not her personally but since she deals with all the bills etc it will affect her i suppose!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Presuming she is of pensionable age she will have her own state pension plus half of his occupational pension. If she has any small occupational pensions in his own right she will keep these.
Presumably the house is mortgage free so she will not have any rental costs and presuming she is a spouse over 60 the house will be disregarded anyway.
As I see it she will be in exactly the same position should her husband predecease her except that any small amount of savings in his sole name which have not been swallowed up in care costs will go to her.
Tre

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
yes tre, she is 75 and apparently he has some clause in his private pension that protects half of it, I had no idea that could even happen, the house is paid for too. Ive told her to go the the CA to get some advise in case he does end up in a home sometime this year. He currently seems to have a water infection and is rambling and seeing things at the mo, the doc has given him antibotics!. He has been on those for a week now and doesnt seem to be going back to normal as yet. My mother had a water infection and i cant remember her having it for so long as apparently he has had it 2 weeks now, or it could be more actually. I havent actually seen him since the end of january tbh, but hes been to hospital to get tested anyway.She is arranging some respite so ive said maybe he will get worse while he is in as you know when they are moved it pushes them on in many cases.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband has this in his pension too. Apparently you can elect to make higher contributions in return for half your pension to continue to be paid for your spouse after your death. It was one of the reasons he was so keen for us to get married, although there were sloppy romantic reasons too.
I can understand how she feels worried about all of this and think it would be a good idea to talk to the CAB or the local carers group( I am in Herts and Carers in Herts have been very helpful). I think she might find once it has been faced then she will feel less anxious about the future. The fear of the unknown is very scary but I doubt it will turn out that she is left with as little as she fears.
As my grandmother used to say "take firm hold of the nettle".
Tre

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
Tre, so does that only apply to getting half after his death then? I really dont know about this.Just trying to find out for her, as she would turn to me anyway to try and find stuff out .

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
You could maybe go to the a CAB with her, but they will need to see the actual documentation which sets out the rules of the private pension as every scheme has its own specific requirements. There may be provisions for a spouse's pension to be paid after a person dies, which may have been funded by higher contributions in the past.

The LA funding rules are based on the financial contribution a person makes from their occupational or private pension to their care during their lifetime, which is 50% of the pension amount as others have said.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
Also she has told me she has to to fill in a big form just to put him into respite and they want to know how much money they have , funds etc , why do they need to know anything when right now he is only going into respite?

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I think she would keep half his private pension if he goes into residential care.
With regard to respite, my husband has been twice and I did not have to fill in any long form but I did confirm his savings exceeded the £23,000 so we were self funding.
Even with this we had to be seen by SW to confirm we were needing respite. I chose where I felt would best suit him but as the LA block book the respite rooms it was arranged via them and then we were billed for it afterwards. It was added to his daycare invoice.
I wonder if they are looking to do a financial assessment and this is why she has the long form. I am sure she would welcome some help with this. I think the local Alzheimers Society or the local Carers group would provide support with this if asked.
Lots of these forms are very difficult as they are looking for specific things in the answers but the questions are not phrased well enough for those without experience to know the key words that you should include in the answers.
I had very good help from the Money Advice Unit who assisted me in completing the form for attendance allowance which resulted in my applying for the lower rate but being immediately given the higher rate.
I have not had a financial assessment for my husband but we are now not far off his having the qualifying amount of savings.
Tre

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
Well i was thinking that that are trying to find out the lay of the land incase he goes in for respite but does not come out, as like ive said to others - that can happen . I would think she would have told them she doesnt have 23000 and yet she is still having to fill in this form, she put him into respite last year when she went on holiday for a week and i think she must have filled in something similiar too as i remember her saying they wanted to know what savings etc she had,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024