Possible fraud

beacon

Oct 23, 2012
northampton
Hi, my aunt is 101 and in a care home, my father is her next of kin. I was asked by my aunts nieces to sort out council funding in 2019 for her care in case her savings ran out, (which at the time was in excess £121.0000 in August 2018 when they placed her in the care home). I have sorted the funding with the local authority and her fees will be subsidised by them as there have been insufficient funds to pay for her care for the last 3 months. However I have since found out that my aunt has a separate bank account where her private works pension is being paid into. As neither myself or my father has POA the pension firm will not tell me anything regarding the pension apart from that the pension is still being paid into an account but would not tell which bank or in whose name it is registered . I have tried repeatedly to contact my cousins but they do not return my calls or texts. Not sure how go forward with this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have sorted the funding with the local authority and her fees will be subsidised by them as there have been insufficient funds to pay for her care for the last 3 months. However I have since found out that my aunt has a separate bank account where her private works pension is being paid into. As neither myself or my father has POA the pension firm will not tell me anything regarding the pension apart from that the pension is still being paid into an account but would not tell which bank or in whose name it is registered
You could try telling the LA that you have found an undisclosed account that a pension from xyz is being paid into.
They should be able to investigate.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
If nobody has POA then someone should ideally apply for Deputyship. Someone has to manage her financial affairs and a trusted family member is best, provided that they are a reasonably good administrator. As things stand without POA it isn't really any of your business, legally speaking.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Incidentally I wouldn't treat this as fraud unless someone has deliberately concealed the account. It is a muddle due to the patient having nobody to manage for them.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @beacon
I agree with writing to the LA and giving them all the information you have, possibly including contact details for your cousins (I assume they are the Attorneys)
and write to the Pension Provider telling them that you have informed the LA that this pension exists, giving them the cousins' contact details too
I would also write to your cousins, and send registered post so they must sign for receipt, letting them know exactly what you have found and that you have informed the LA and pension provider
that way you have made the situation clear to every concerned party ... it's then up to them to deal with the issue

beacon

Oct 23, 2012
northampton
Thank you all for you replies. I have contacted the LA and my Auntie’s pension provider and passed on all the information I have. Just waiting for the response.

beacon

Oct 23, 2012
northampton
Thank you all for you replies. I have contacted the LA and they are going to investigate. I have also notified my aunties pension provider. I will let you all know the outcome thank you