Possible explanation

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
It is quite possible that my mother took the Aricept pills out of the packet one at a time and hid them, then took perhaps 10 of them at a time. That might explain why she went downhill and died so suddenly.

Lila

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
oh Lila, this is a real nightmare for you I know. Nothing seems to quite make sense of why your mum went downhill so suddenly. Do you have any reason to think she did this with the aricept? I know that dad used to get muddled with his tablets, and sometimes miss them, and sometimes double up ........ but hiding and taking 10 at a time seems like something else. I've no idea what OD of aricept does .... have you checked it out?

I wish there was a way for you to feel settled in making sense of what happened.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Of course I'll never know, because no-one else wanted to know. The general attitude being, well, she was old, she had dementia, then she died, and of course lots of people die in much more tragic circumstances.

It wasn't a normal dementia death, considering all the things she could still do a few days earlier, (which the staff in the hospital clearly did not believe).

I think she was still mentally and physically capable of hiding pills and then taking the lot, and knew she would eventually reach a stage when she wouldn't be able to do so, and did not want to reach that stage.

If someone habitually threatens suicide it is difficult to know when to take it seriously. And in theory I think she had a right to commit suicide if that is what she did.

Lila

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Lila13 said:
If someone habitually threatens suicide it is difficult to know when to take it seriously.
And in theory I think she had a right to commit suicide if that is what she did.
Lila
Áine said:
I wish there was a way for you to feel settled in making sense of what happened.
You know Lila, you may have come to the answer you were looking for. Of course none of the medical staff or carers involved would consider or admit to such a possibility, as they would feel it reflected on them and their care (or lack of it) for your Mum. You are the one who knows your Mum's character best, and if she was determined enough to have taken her own decision and acted upon it.
My own Mum is also a feisty little tyke, although not physically as strong or able as she once was. If I were faced with such an unacceptable future as AD offers myself, I would take matters into my own hands while I still could. (That doesn't mean I'm going to top my Mum, just in case anyone is having doubts!!)

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Yes, the difficulty would be deciding when the time had come.

Although my mother talked about suicide so often, there were always times in between when she still enjoyed life. Except in that last hospital ward where she was being treated as an object, not a person. No-one would want to stay in there for a month.

Lila

Lynne said:
If I were faced with such an unacceptable future as AD offers myself, I would take matters into my own hands while I still could.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I wouldn't blame the carers. She had a legal right to control her own medication. They could only do what she asked them or allowed them to do.

I am more enclined to blame the psychiatrist but then I didn't see him.

Lila