• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

POSSIBLE EARLY DEMENTIA ONSET

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
I have been looking at internet info and this generally suggests that I may have early onset dementia. I know that at 63 I have become more forgetful and talking to myself, struggling to find words and intermittent slurred speech. I am due to see my GP soon, is there any advice or things I could do, perhaps write my problems down etc

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry that you have these concerns but I’m glad you’ve found Dementia Talking Point. You’ll get lots of support and understanding here.

I would certainly write down those things that are causing you concern. Either hand them to the doctor when you go in or go through them at your appointment. I used to do that before I had appointments with my husband. It’s so easy to leave a doctor’s appointment and suddenly realise you haven’t told them something.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I have been looking at internet info and this generally suggests that I may have early onset dementia. I know that at 63 I have become more forgetful and talking to myself, struggling to find words and intermittent slurred speech. I am due to see my GP soon, is there any advice or things I could do, perhaps write my problems down etc
Hi

As others have said, writing things down as they occur to you can be very helpful. If you have someone who knows you well, to go with you, that can also be good, as they can often remember what was said, whereas it's all too easy for everything to go in one ear and out the other?

It is important though, to understand that there are many other causes of poor memory and the other behaviours you are concerned about. Your GP will probably ask for blood tests etc to try and check for underlying issues that could be affecting you - it's not a forgone conclusion that it is dementia.

So try to stay positive and please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Phil

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Good luck with your appointment. Your GP will hopefully do a simple memory test as well as blood tests to exclude any physical cause for your difficulties. Remember that stress, anxiety and depression can all impact on your ability to remember things so as others have already said this may not be dementia.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have no confidence at all in the memory tests.
what is the name of the Queen, seriously!
my expectation is you are at best fobbed off with being borderline. ( please don’t worry)!!!
When they have excluded other possibilities, then you need a brain scan.
if you don’t have any joy, then depending on your finances think about a private scan.
If I could live my life again then one thing I would have done for three of my friends, at various times when they requested health advice, is say spend less than a grand and have a private scan today. They each had cancer so different, but some dementias have medications available.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
My GP tested me yesterday and he is concerned with memory. I could not remember the names given. I have been referred to a memory clinic and need to have some bloods taken.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My GP tested me yesterday and he is concerned with memory. I could not remember the names given. I have been referred to a memory clinic and need to have some bloods taken.
I`m sorry to hear this @stevew.

I hope you have family support and hope you know there will be support here for you whatever the results of the tests.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angela Patton