Possibility of Continuing Care being cancelled after 5 years

jillw

Jun 28, 2015
Has anyone heard of the latest that may be about to happen to myself and my husband who has been in care for 5 and a half years?
I have had a call from the continuing care nurse that she wants to meet me with a social services person as someone (who we don't know nor does the care home) has done a review and has said that my husband no longer needs continuing care even though he has had early onset alzheimers for 15 years and is now at the latter stage of lying in bed and not swallowing properly.
This seems incredible and beggars belief!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My understanding is that CHC is first reviewed after 3 months and then annually.
A review involves starting with a new checklist.
Statistics show a large rejection at the 3 month review.
How long is it since your husband was granted CHC?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi jillw-welcome to TP.

I'm afraid withdrawal of CHC does happen. If a person was awarded CHC for say agitation/violence and that is no longer is a case, it could be viewed that your OH no longer has a primary need. I'm by no means saying that I agree with that stance as I know that as Dementia progresses other symptoms show. However, things like feeding can be viewed as Social Care-not a primary health need. It's not right in my opinion. Are the CH saying that no one actually turned up at the CH to do a review? I would phone the CHC team and get the details-and why you were not informed a review was taking place.

Good luck

Please let us know the result of this meeting if you can

Love

Lyn T XX

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Keep in mind....

A managed need..... is still a need....

Cost cutting exercise.....

Not easy for you.. xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm afraid that Lyn is right. If the need is deemed to be no longer present rather than simply being managed, funding can be withdrawn.

This can be for any number of reasons and mainly seems to come about through the progression of the disease and subsequent deterioration which renders the original reason for the CHC funding null and void.

cattz66

Nov 13, 2010
nottingham
hi chc is never given for life and always subject to reassessing.

Hi. continuing care is always subject to review annually. If a persons level of needs diminishes in terms of intensity ,complexity or unpredictability then potentially he may no longer be eligible.
The assessment is not based on diagnosis and whilst he may have multiple needs that doesn't indicate a primary health need (ie eligible for continuing care)
It could be that he becomes eligible again in the future,
The nurse completing the review will use all the information available to make a recommendation together with a social worker and gain information from the staff caring for him , often and mostly, they will have not met the person before attending to complete the review
Hope this helps all the best 1127754]Has anyone heard of the latest that may be about to happen to myself and my husband who has been in care for 5 and a half years?
I have had a call from the continuing care nurse that she wants to meet me with a social services person as someone (who we don't know nor does the care home) has done a review and has said that my husband no longer needs continuing care even though he has had early onset alzheimers for 15 years and is now at the latter stage of lying in bed and not swallowing properly.
This seems incredible and beggars belief![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
How I agree with you, about it beggars belief, even though we know it happens.

There aren't many illnesses that the NHS doesn't fund, but dementia is one. As the condition progresses, the nursing needs decline. I want to shout "this is an illness, not a life style choice"

So many lifestyle choices are paid for by the NHS, and yet dementia, oh no.

Drink too much, and fall over; take drugs and OD, yes the NHS is there for you. Of course, the "new" problem is obesity with all the health issues attached.

Apart from anything else, you are struggling with the deterioration of your loved one, and then you are hit with the stress of the finances.

I know the NHS isn't a bottomless pot of money, but maybe reclassifying severe dementia into an illness is a need in itself.

Off my soap box now. Wishing you well wth your review.

Maiakins

Jul 7, 2015
Tring, Hertfordshire
Has anyone heard of the latest that may be about to happen to myself and my husband who has been in care for 5 and a half years?
This seems incredible and beggars belief!

Try the early onset group