Positive test for covid.

Bezzy1946

Jul 18, 2017
Watford
I just wanted to update on my dads condition after his positive test. It’s an absolute miracle that he’s still not had any symptoms. Hes been so lucky ( not that he would know that) He’s not had to have any extra inhalers than he already has for his COPD. When I rang the nursing home tonight , he had just had his tea and was watching TV. So life goes on in his dementia world , not knowing what is happening around him. Didn’t think I would ever say this but Thank you dementia. He would have been terrified if he’d have realised what a positive test meant.
My husband has been in Care Home since beginning of February. I was reluctant for him to go but couldn’t give him the care he needed with his dementia, falling over, colitis and various other ailments. Unfortunately the Care Home locked down before it became official so haven’t seen him for ages. Two weeks ago he went into hospital for a swollen elbow and they tested for Covid and he was positive. He hasn’t shown any symptoms thankfully but they still are not sure what is wrong with his elbow. I feel so sad for him he must be so confused with all nurses in masks, he is deaf and wears hearing aids and the batteries have probably gone now. He can lip read but can’t because of masks. I feel hopeless as I can’t see him and reassure him and feel so guilty as I know we all do !!

pixie2

Jul 21, 2018
Dads nursing home just rang and Dads tested positive for covid. They say he’s fine in himself and not showing any symptoms yet. He’s got COPD as well as dementia so the outcome won’t be good if the virus takes hold. After the last trip to hospital ( he was very aggressive to the nurses) it was decided that he wouldn’t go to hospital again. He also has a DNR . I haven’t seen him for 8 weeks now and as I’m shielding my husband I haven’t been out for 7 weeks. Feeling pretty hopeless at the moment as there is nothing I can do.
Thinking of you

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
I’m so sorry Bazzy1946 that you and your husband are going through such a horrible time. I’m very glad ,that he too had no symptoms. I understand about the hearing aids,as dad is completely deaf in one ear and has an aid in the other. He didn’t even realise when the battery has gone. I’m sure the nurses at the hospital should be able to get batteries ,if they are in a larger one with a hearing loss clinic. Do you ring the ward? It may be worth asking and if they can’t get some ,maybe you can send some by post or get someone to drop them in. I get dads on A***** . Just a thought ,as it would be one less thing for you to worry about. I hope they get to the bottom of his elbow problem and he can go back to his carehome soon. As for the guilt. MaNaAk told me it’s because we love and care so much. Try not to be hard on yourself. Thinking of you . x

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Just wanted to give an update on dad. He’s just had another test and it’s come back negative. We have been so,so lucky that he didn’t have any symptoms. I really feel for you all out there who are going through this nightmare of a positive test. The virus is so unpredictable . I felt sure with COPD, being 84 and with dementia ,in a nursing home ,it wouldn’t be this outcome for dad. Even the nurses in the home were convinced it would be worse. I haven’t seen him now for over 10 weeks but it doesn’t matter anymore. As long as he is fit,well and happy, that’s all that’s important to me now. Big hugs to everyone and I hope some of you will be given hope,that a positive test does not always have a terrible outcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet