Positive Test for COVID-19

JEL66

Mar 18, 2017
My mum 84 has Vascular Dementia has been on the steady slippery Dementia road for over 3 years now.
Monday I received a call from the care home saying that Mum had a funny turn and being tested for Covid with the rest of the residents. Wednesday results in, She’s tested positive Like some others so being kept in her room. She had No symptoms and carers said she’s well and eating and drinking.
The dreaded phone rang today CH saying Mums very agitated with a high temperature. Paramedics called and she’s been taken into hospital.
With all these restrictions me and my brother are unable to be with her when she need us.
Sorry for the long post but just needed to talk Xx

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
What a painful time for you. Can the hospital arrange FaceTime for you. Even when mum was barely conscious we could whatsapp and despite appearing to be unresponsive she did respond to a relatives voice on this. It was a comfort to everyone

JEL66

Mar 18, 2017
Thanks @Splashing About we will have to try that when we know more. Hopefully we will get some news later from the hospital.
My mums is in her final stages so sleeps most of the day, eats very little and hardly knows us but she’s a fighter xxx

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Sorry to read your mum tested positive and is in hospital x I hope you can facetime as suggested or something similar so you can have some contact with your mum ? ?

123smile

Apr 18, 2020
Sorry to read about your mum @JEL66 i am in a similar position. Mum has been in care home with Alzheimer’s now for about 7 years. She is on end of life care and tested positive for coronovirus. No symptoms yet but still a worry ?

JEL66

Mar 18, 2017
Thank you all for your kind words. Over the last week of treatment my mums condition has deteriorated and now doesn’t want to eat or drink. This morning I spoke to the Dr looking after my mum as was told all treatment will be stopped and mum made comfortable. Now as a family we have to wait for the call we all dread

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I am sorry you have reached this twilight zone.
Will you be able to see her?

JEL66

Mar 18, 2017
@canary - Today me and my brother were allowed onto the ward to see Mum. Staff were wonderful and so caring, Nurse explained that mums on a syringe driver and oxygen. Quite scary seeing her for the first time in over 2 months.
She just had a distant look in her eyes and didn’t respond to my voice but I know she knew we were there. Seeing the changes in her body you know it’s only time.
Take care all Xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad you have managed to see her @JEL66
Yes, once they are on a syringe driver its usually only a few days max. Stay strong.
More ((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

Melilaw

May 24, 2020
@canary - Today me and my brother were allowed onto the ward to see Mum. Staff were wonderful and so caring, Nurse explained that mums on a syringe driver and oxygen. Quite scary seeing her for the first time in over 2 months.
She just had a distant look in her eyes and didn’t respond to my voice but I know she knew we were there. Seeing the changes in her body you know it’s only time.
Take care all Xx
Hello Jel66 so glad you were able to see your mum although very hard to bear too. Xx

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I'm sorry you are now at this stage @JEL66 - it brought me comfort at the end when my husband was on the syringe driver as I knew he was pain free and well cared for by the nursing staff.

I am sure that you will also find comfort in knowing that your mum is comfortable and pain free - and that she was aware that you and your brother were there.

Thinking of you all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep