Positive News

JanScots

Dec 29, 2015
Positive news for today.... I took Mum to her first session of a Cognitive Stimulation Therapy Group (ten week course) which was held at a local hotel (organised through the NHS Memory Clinic), and fingers crossed despite her reservations, she really enjoyed it. This is something she goes to by herself, (I take her)... but what I got out of it was when I was waiting to pick her up I got talking to other carers of their parents/partners and next week while they are all at their next session, we are going to go and have a coffee.... it was wonderful to speak to them as we are all in the same boat. Also the one thing I did realise today, (which I did not get before) is Mum is struggling now she is on the other side of the table as in years past she was me..... with both her parents, an elderly cousin, my Dad (who died of cancer) and up until five years ago her second husband who has passed away but was in a home for a couple of years before this happened... I thought she was struggling with being in a group as she was always so independent and did not do shopping/coffee mornings etc. as her life was running her Business with my Dad...... How wrong was I.... It sure is a learning curve of understanding...

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
That sounds great - and the course sounds very good too.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about being on the other side of the table, would you mind explaining again - i'm not at my brightest these days but I really like to understand where people are 'coming from' or 'going to'

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Jan, that's great news! A little socializing with others in a similar situation sounds like a great idea.

Fizzie, Jan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what she is saying is that her mother used to be a carer herself for her parents and cousin and husband, but is now the one who needs to be cared for.

Oh, that's not as clear as what was in my head. Maybe Jan had better straighten us both out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL