Positive effects of coconut oil on Alzheimers - please read

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
Hi All,

Just to update we are just over one month in with giving mum coconut oil each day - up to two tablespoons now (started with 1 teaspoon) mum definately seems more talkative and brighter. My mum is 60 years old, I am her daughter 30, I am open to trying anything that will help. I have been informed that it can show improvement within a couple of days, or up to 2/3 months. I am very excited about this and will keep going with the coconut oil. I just wanted to let you know.....

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
Hi All,

Just to update we are just over one month in with giving mum coconut oil each day - up to two tablespoons now (started with 1 teaspoon) mum definately seems more talkative and brighter. My mum is 60 years old, I am her daughter 30, I am open to trying anything that will help. I have been informed that it can show improvement within a couple of days, or up to 2/3 months. I am very excited about this and will keep going with the coconut oil. I just wanted to let you know.....

in addition my brother alerted me to an interview on 7th December, discussing the positive benefits of taking coconut oil for Alzheimers disease. I am posting the link here - the interview starts about 7 mins in. The lady's husband who has alzheimers is so much improved on coconut oil.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-13-how-to-take-care-of-your-brain-with-coconut-oil-ketones/

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
in addition my brother alerted me to an interview on 7th December, discussing the positive benefits of taking coconut oil for Alzheimers disease. I am posting the link here - the interview starts about 7 mins in. The lady's husband who has alzheimers is so much improved on coconut oil.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-13-how-to-take-care-of-your-brain-with-coconut-oil-ketones/

Wow, that link was so interesting Sunshine, thank you for starting this thread and for trying to boost awareness.
I wondered how your mum was fairing and it's great to hear your update. I have listened to the link and also referred back to the links on your first post. Well done for finding out about coconut oil and ketones. I have been very interested in all of Ted Huchinsons views here and it's good to hear another member who is so keen to try to find a natural way to tackle Alzheimers and other neurological health problems.

Do keep us posted!

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi,
This is interesting and I am following this thread with interest. Can I ask, what is the oil like to take? I imagine it's like taking a spoon of cod liver oil every day??
I find Ted's posts interesting too and I've always inferred that his interest in dementia is in prevention through diet for himself personally. I don't agree with all his conclusions but I'm always interested in his views. Maybe there's a concern that people might think Ted's views are endorsed by the site when they are his personal views. I wonder if you get a bit impatient Ted at times, because to you the arguments seem clear, when others don't share your conclusions.

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
Hi,
This is interesting and I am following this thread with interest. Can I ask, what is the oil like to take? I imagine it's like taking a spoon of cod liver oil every day??
I find Ted's posts interesting too and I've always inferred that his interest in dementia is in prevention through diet for himself personally. I don't agree with all his conclusions but I'm always interested in his views. Maybe there's a concern that people might think Ted's views are endorsed by the site when they are his personal views. I wonder if you get a bit impatient Ted at times, because to you the arguments seem clear, when others don't share your conclusions.

Hi, I wouldn't recommend taking the oil on it's own as it is a bit strong tasting and thick, I have racked my brains a lot and looked on the web about the best way to take it and this is what works well:

Spoonful in tea, coffee, hot chocolate (the hot water melts the oil nicely)
Add to soup - especially chicken soup
add to custard, rice pudding
add to smoothies
add to porridge
add on toast, the put honey on top
If I can find it, i will also paste the info I was sent about coconut oil

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
here I am also pasting from an article I read from Dr Newport on the best way to take it:

• 'Use coconut oil and/or MCT oil instead of butter on toast, English muffins, bagels, grits, corn on the cob, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, vegetables, noodles, pasta.
• Mix coconut oil and/or MCT oil:
o Into oatmeal or other hot cereal.
o Into smoothies, yogurt or kefir.
o Half and half with salad dressings.
o Into your favorite soup, chili or sauce.
• Use a measured amount of coconut oil to stir fry or sauté (add olive or peanut oil if using more than medium heat)
• Purchase or make coconut macaroons made from all natural products.
• Eat a 2” x 2” square of raw coconut for a snack to provide 15 grams of oil.
• Add flaked or grated coconut to hot or cold cereal, yogurt, fruit or vegetable salads.
• Look at “The Coconut Lover’s Cookbook,” Bruce Fife for many more great ideas'

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
this website has also been a great resource for me

www.coconutketones.com

Interestingly, I have also started taking a bit of coconut oil in mint tea myself(I am only 30) and I do feel more energised and alert. I have had acne on and off for a few years too and I now find that putting it on at night as a moisturiser has cleared my face up a treat. So I think it is a great healthy thing to take anyway.
I will post back again on mum's progress to let you know how she is going. At the end of the day mum is only 60 and we have nothing to lose by trying this out - we don't have the time to wait for them to figure a cure out, so if something helps even just a little bit then that is great. All the best

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Sunshine

Thanks, I see, it's gloopy by the sound of it, or maybe solid? I thought of making macaroons with it, I love coconut cake and so on, the thought of stirring it into tea sounds weird. I drink mint tea most of the time.

I will have a look at it in the health food shop next time I go.

Thanks for the ideas.

How is your mum today?:)

x

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
Hi Sunshine

Thanks, I see, it's gloopy by the sound of it, or maybe solid? I thought of making macaroons with it, I love coconut cake and so on, the thought of stirring it into tea sounds weird. I drink mint tea most of the time.

I will have a look at it in the health food shop next time I go.

Thanks for the ideas.

How is your mum today?:)

x

yes it is a bit solid but then melts easily, yes try it with your mint tea it's OK, also coconut milk is another source of it which you can buy in supermarkets. I have done a nice thai green curry for mum and dad using that, coconut cream (again from supermarkets works well too). I am seeing my mum tommorrow as I am taking her to have her hair done so i will see how she is doing (I don't live with mum, my dad does). My brother did say she was asking about 'what is that iphone thing' yesterday which is quite a good sign as she has no interest (we thought anyway) regarding gadgets anymore, so that is good.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
'what is that iphone thing'

That sounds like just the sort of thing my mum would have said...

Thai green curry sounds delicious.

Good luck with the hairdresser. Hope it goes well. :)

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
After a busy term, just catching up with some posts and really felt the need to respond to this one!

Firstly, I think forums are a fantastic way of becoming informed. There are bound to be conflicting views as we are all human, but I personally love hearing other people's viewpoints and information. It is then up to me whether I take it on board or not. And yes of course you have to be careful with some interactions between medicines and alternative therapies - that really is important.

Personally I wonder if the nation could save a huge health bill just by opening itself out to the possibilities of good nutrition preventing disease?

Again take it or leave it, but this is our positive experience of visiting a nutritionist over the last 6 months.........

I was very poorly in April with a bad stomach bug. It continued on and off for the next couple of months and I became very worried. I linked my periods of not feeling well to eating red meat and fatty foods, so felt it was something dietary and did not feel the need to visit the GP and go down the medical tests route. My instinct was correct. I visited an energetic medicine practitioner who tests the body for missing enzymes, vitamins, blockages in the body. Mine showed up the virus still present, increased gut flora, a depressed immune system, shortages of Vit B, shortages of digestive enzymes, zinc and amino acids - no doubt a stress reaction - brainb/gut is linked. Under supervision, I took these, cut out red meat, alcohol, dairy, gluten and wheat from my diet, lost 2 and a half stones in weight and enjoyed this full return to health and energy levels. My dentist was astounded in the change in me - I risked it and told her, not sure of a medic's reaction - "Fascinating, isn't it?" was her reply.

I still see the nutritionist, in winter my Vit D has gone down so I take a supplement for that. My iron levels are also a bit low so am taking Spa-tone with added Vit C - already I feel my energy levels increasing.

Hubby too visits this lady. His energy levels were very low following huge doses of anti-arrythmic medication and other medication for various conditions. His liver was over-burdened, he was put on some liver detox WITHOUT it affecting the strength of his medication. He has some worrying rise in PSA and the GP is threatening prostate biopsy if the levels do not reduce or stabilise. This is now being treated by avoiding red meat, taking Eskimo 3 fatty acids and improving the digestive system as infection can increase PSA (as well as avoiding cycling 2 days before a PSA test). It may or may not help but it is so fascinating to see what impact nutrition has on the body. Unfortunately the advice and the supplements cost money, but if you cut out all the ready meals and alcohol.............

Hubby is now well enough at 70 to go on 45 mile cycle training runs (yes, even with a heart condition....). Our friends and family continually comment on how well we both look and ask our secret............

So many may disagree but there is no way we will change our healthy diets now and revert to our old ways. There must be so many conditions that are nutrition-related and I personally just wonder how much money the NHS could save if it opened itself up to improving patients' knowledge of good nutrition?

Apologies for sounding like Gillian McKeith......

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I do agree with you Mary but I would struggle to give up dairy. I just don't know where to begin. I have dairy with every meal, more or less.

I also think the more I read, the more confused I get.

Also, after cancer treatment, I was told not to take ANYTHING herbal or otherwise without telling my oncology team. For example I think Vit C is meant to be positively harmful while you are on treatment.

I have tried to generally cut down on alcohol, meat and dairy and figure I am making some changes. My BMI is 22/23, so not high.

Exercise is also important of course and I am trying to look after my fitness more.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Apologies for sounding like Gillian McKeith......

Don't apologise Mary, your post is interesting and uplifting.

My Uncle's nursing home is very in tune with nutrition and natural supplements and therapies - but he's just been admitted to hospital again today and I'm so worried about him as his physical health now seems to be declining faster than his mental health. I've discovered his diet has been poor since his wife died in 2000. Living alone and in isolation, he quickly developed type 2 diabetes and then dementia.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
I do agree with you Mary but I would struggle to give up dairy. I just don't know where to begin. I have dairy with every meal, more or less.

Hi Pied, it's not actually that difficult! Swap butters for Pure soya spread, use soya or rice milk in place of ordinary milk (these days they also contain calcium etc.), soya custard in place of ordinary custard, soya yogurt available in every supermarket in place of creamy yogurts, soya cream, soya ice cream (delicious) and in general just look for the "free from" aisle in all the supermarkets. Some are better than others. Swap milk chocolate for dark chocolate. See, you can cook creamy dishes with those ingredients!

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
Swap butters for Pure soya spread, use soya
Bearing in mind you said earlier
There are bound to be conflicting views as we are all human, but I personally love hearing other people's viewpoints and information.
I would like to point out that butter and aged cheese is not only an excellent source of Medium Chain Triglycerides (the reason why coconut oil is so beneficial for people with dysfunctional glucose metabolism) but also Vitamin K2 (deficiency of which is associated with bone thinning) and is a traditional part of the human diet whereas Soya is part of the industrial food production system and the soya products on supermarket shelves are novel food items so must be regarded with suspicion and so although traditional soya fermented products may have health benefits most modern industrially produced soya products raise major health concerns. Doctor Warns: Eat This and You’ll Look 5 Years Older
This "Miracle Health Food" Has Been Linked to Brain Damage and Breast Cancer
I know I'm lucky as I have a source of locally made butter, raw milk, and vintage cheese just up the road but I'm sure if you look around, or investigate your local farmers market you can find an equivalent.
The natural traditional bacteria that come with traditionally made/produced dairy products help with the production and absorption of micronutrients from the foods we consume.
We must look after both our gut flora and our mitochondria.
Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria explains more here.

Swap milk chocolate for dark chocolate.
But pay attention to the Cacao content. It must be as high as possible, at least 75% and ideally as strong as possible Tesco's do a value/basics own brand 85% quite reasonably (it was on offer recently so you may still be lucky) and Lidl's also have a Plantation 81% less than £1.
You can also if you're lucky like this little one find a 90% version

The 90 Percent Solution

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The trouble is these things are always coming from the same source - Mary Newport. It would be good if there were reports coming from other people.

sunshine12

Aug 27, 2011
UK
so far we are two months in with my mum taking the the coconut oil and it is having a positive effect, she is more talkative and engaged, many family members have commented. My mum is 60 years old and 61 in a few days time. She was diagnosed two years ago. We need to try to increase the doseage however to a bit more as my dad is only managing to give her one tablespoon day, sometimes two but not always.

On another note interestingly I started taking it as well in my tea and my acne as cleared up. I have had acne on and off for about ten years.
My friend is doing a fitness bootcamp and has been advised to cook with it, she has never looked better.

If this stuff keeps giving improvement for my mum then I will stick with it. I will continue to post with further update as time progresses.

Peborgh

Jan 10, 2012
Thanks, all...

... especially for the links.
The thread went a bit off-subject with the discussion of blood thickening.
However, I have a further question: Does anyone know (where to find) the side-effects of taking such large doses of coconut oil daily, for instance on digestion?
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew