Positive effects of coconut oil on Alzheimers - please read

ockc

Account Closed
Mar 18, 2012
Alzheimer's Doctors Taking note of coconut oil

I've just come across this news item on CBNNews.com . It's a follow up to their news report a year ago about this.

Marina1974

Nov 26, 2011
Hi
Please can you tell me which brand if coconut oil you use and where to purchase it. Also is the given orally and how much is give

Thank you

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Marina - it would not be appropriate for anyone on this forum to suggest a possible dosage, since we do not permit this sort of advice. If you wish to use this alternative treatment, can I suggest that you use google to determine how much should be taken?

ockc

Account Closed
Mar 18, 2012
Researching coconut oil isn't that easy

Marina - it would not be appropriate for anyone on this forum to suggest a possible dosage, since we do not permit this sort of advice. If you wish to use this alternative treatment, can I suggest that you use google to determine how much should be taken?

It's not at all easy to find the information about coconut oil.

I would also note that the whole point of an online forum is to stimulate discussion. People can either take on board, correct or ignore whatever any of us write.

Last edited by a moderator:

velo70

Sep 20, 2012
Devon
coconut oil

Hi tre. Be interesting to see the result, in your own opinion, after 30; 60; 90 days. I am sure, if you consider, then make your own mind up to try something, there does not seem to be any harm incurred.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I would also note that the whole point of an online forum is to stimulate discussion. People can either take on board, correct or ignore whatever any of us write.

Actually, the whole point of this online forum is:

•1.1 The purpose of this site is to provide a safe forum for people to share experiences and help each other cope with the challenges of living with or caring for people with dementia.
•1.2 The moderators of this site cannot be expected to pre-check the content posted via the discussion system and therefore we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such content.
•1.3 This site facilitates peer support; it should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. You should consult your doctor, or other relevant professional, before making any decisions that could affect you or others.

There are many other forums in which lively debate is the point, and I belong to a couple, but this forum is not one of those.

In regards to possible treatments, there is also a point regarding this:

•3.10 Please do not promote, advocate or post unsubstantiated claims about alternative or complementary therapies on this site.

It is one thing to say you tried something and it worked for you. That is personal opinion and different from advocating a treatment or alternative medication.

ockc

Account Closed
Mar 18, 2012
Alternative therapies

In regards to possible treatments, there is also a point regarding this:

•3.10 Please do not promote, advocate or post unsubstantiated claims about alternative or complementary therapies on this site.

It is one thing to say you tried something and it worked for you. That is personal opinion and different from advocating a treatment or alternative medication.

Isn't this a rather odd rule, bearing in mind that there is no known conventional medication to cure Alzheimer's?

Anyhow, all I have been saying in my posts is that we are trying coconut oil with my father and it seems to be working. I had posted the recent, 12-minute US news item which explained the science behind why it might work.

Last edited by a moderator:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Isn't this a rather odd rule, bearing in mind that there is no known conventional medication to cure Alzheimer's?

In fact that's precisely why we have this rule. When there is no cure, desperate people may be encouraged to try alternative treatments and not all of them are safe or wise. I'm sure there are other websites which permit this type of post.

Last edited:

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Coconut oil

I appreciate the discussion about the use of coconut oil.

I had read an article elsewhere, had made my decision to use it in family cooking and for my mother with Vascular dementia. I then came across the Coconut thread. This added an extra dimension from people with first hand experience.

I appreciated Ted's comments as I find I always need to be open minded and look for alternatives. My mother would always use alternatives in her pre Vasc Dem state with a degree of success and I continue to assist her.

I think there should be an auto matic reminder attached to every post about safety/not medical etc

I have confidence to read and digest information and make informed decisions which may or may not be accepted yet by the medical community. The coconut oil posts were helpful to me and I took them in the spirit that they were posted as personal shared information.

I do appreciate Talking Point more so in dealing with the emotional aspects of dementia.

Written by some one who is not a medic, who is open minded about alternatives and wants to be safe, judged by my self!
Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F