Portable shower

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Sometimes you have an idea which you wonder why you never thought of it before. This one solved the problem of how to give someone a shower when they are no longer able to get into the bathroom.

Over the past few years my wife's mobility has got less and less and is now unable to walk. The carers do a good job of keeping her clean but a wash with soap and water is not the same as having a shower. The solution we came up is using a portable camping shower. Basically it's a small battery powered water pump attached to a shower head. You put the pump into a bucket of warm water and the water is pumped to the shower head. We used a large folding paddling pool designed for dogs, just to make sure the pool was strong enough. We lifted the commode into the pool and then used the hoist. The carers used nearly two full buckets of warn water and the whole process worked wonderfully. The shower was easy to use with just the right flow of water from the shower head. My wife loved the shower and was using words like wonderful during the whole event. The pool held the used water well and there was no water leaks anywhere.

Overall the shower and pool cost just over £55 and I am very happy with the outcome. I have not listed the items directly but if you want like to know more send me a message and I was reply with the items details I ordered from Amazon.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I did something very similar for my husband once he reached the stage of struggling to climb over the side of the bath to use the over the bath shower. I hooked him up with a portable shower downstairs. He was still mobile at the time, which helped a lot, but I knew that if the time came when he could no longer stand safely it would be easy enough to introduce a shower chair to the arrsngement..They say that necessity is the mother of invention! :)

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have a portable camping shower but it's solar heated and powers through gravity meaning someone has to hold it over your head or you can hang it from a tree. Sounds similar but it has a little tap to turn the water off at the shower head. It was pretty good.