popping in to say hi

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Friends,
We are still hanging in there. Mom broke her hip almost 3 months ago, the average to survive is 30 days and she is still with us. It caused a very rapid decline in her cognition and she either can't keep food down or refuses to eat or drink. They were able to get her into a wheel chair for short periods of time and were able to weigh her. She was 77lbs two weeks ago and looks thinner now.
Her ability to swallow is hindered and there is no communication. She has a glimmer of recognition to me but doesn't know anyone else. On the bright side, she isn't in any pain and smiles all the time.
Hospice has stepped their care up for her and we feel she could go at any time or could continue this very slow decline for awhile longer.
I have gone to work full time. A wonderful job literally dropped in my lap and I just couldn't turn it down. I questioned that the timeing wasn't right but as it has turned out, the timeing was perfect. About all I can do for Mom now is make sure she is taken care of and I go three to four times a week. Working has been a Godsend as it gives me something else to do and think about. A real sanity saver!!
It will also give me something fullfilling to do after she is gone and I hope ease the emptiness.
Hope your all ok, don't think because I don't log on as much that I don't think of you all !!
Love, Debbie

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Debbie, thanks for popping in.

Sad news about your mum, but quite a few of us are at that stage, just not knowing how long it will be.

I'm glad you've got a good job to take your mind off things, it must help that you enjoy it.

Pop in whenver you feel like it,

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Debbie, always good to hear from you.:)

Sorry about mum's decline, although you are lucky that she is still with you.

Glad the job worked out O.K. life is funny like that sometimes.

Stay strong, and visit again soon.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s good to hear from you Debbie.

Your mother sounds very frail and as if only time will tell. It seems the new job came at the right time for you.

Take care. It`s always good to hear from old friends.

Love xx

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Debbie

Good to hear from you. So sorry that Mum is so fragile, such an awful stage to be at, we are there with my Mum. Glad that your Mum is smiling for you, smiles are worth a hundred words.....
Pleased to hear you have a lovely new job, hope this makes the difference for you. Take care.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Debbie, so glad to hear about the new job, it will take your mind of the situation with mum that you have done your very best about. She would want you to carry on and enjoy your life.

I'm at the other end, good job but mum is still well enough to be taken out and about, so I am giving up work!

Work twice as hard for the two of us.

Much love

Margaret

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Debbie, so great to hear from you again!

Whenever I see a post from you I get that first rising part of the chorus from the show going through my head, and I have to smile... "OOOOOOOOOaklahoma....."

You say
A wonderful job literally dropped in my lap and I just couldn't turn it down
when circumstance does this, I always tend to grab with both hands. You deserve it, so I hope it remains great.

Please keep updating us. Keep looking for those glimmers!