Poor mum been having awful hallucinations.

devans

Feb 9, 2014
Mum has done similar fighting off five people, this generally has been cured by the use of sleeping tablets. These are as an when and ensure at least twice a week she gets a deep sleep. This has totally changed her behaviour and hallucinations are reduced or removed with deep sleep as the brain is only refreshed when the hit the deep part might be worth a try

David

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My m had less fearful moments when I controlled what she could see on TV. (Basically only DVD)

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
My Mum used to do this, not to the extent of distress as your Mum fortunately. She thought the people in the TV were speaking a different language as she couldn't follow what they were saying. this then spiralled down to they were laughing at her
TV was all she did so it left a big hole in the day.
An occupational therapy colleague at work suggested "Calmer by Nature" DVD's for Mum to watch.
They are calming nature scenes filmed at a gentle speed featuring slowly moving rivers trees etc. and woodland animals and birds doing what they do. There is no dialogue and no story. I find them strangely compelling despite having watched them hundreds of times.
They calm Mum like nothing else as it is such a 'normal' and hardwired thing for her to do watching the telly.
I bought ours from Amazon (there are 2) but I have seen them in our library for loan.

I hope it is a short lived phase for you - it is such a worry and so emotionally draining.
very best wishes
Kate

Hi Kate I just wanted to thank you so much for your post. I had a look at the dvds, they do a preview showing a few minutes worth of footage. Absolutely lovely!

I am not sure they would be my mum's cup of tea, but I felt so calm after watching the preview I've ordered one. After a stressful session with mum I think it'll do me if not mum the world of good. x

blue skies

Sep 18, 2015
I Wish I knew what triggered my Mothers Hallucinations off then !!!

Well I wish that I knew what Triggered my Mothers Hallucinations off then !!!!

As for many many months we have the same Hallucination and its just directed at me !!! There are people that have access to my flat whilst I'm at work, ( I live below here in a flat) they let themselves in, I must have given them permission, they have sex, not always on the beds (as I have learnt to strategically placed items in certain positions)they have sex on the hard parka floors then, even though I have CCTV she ignores the flat, she swears on the bible that she has sat on the stairs listening, she's not mad !!!! Then sometimes at night well 5 nights out of 7 she is banging , sometimes I'm still watching the news, sometimes I'm asleep banging on the floor saying that she's calling the Police, its disgusting , I will go to prison !!!!.
So now I dread coming home from work and ringing her, waiting for the 1hour 50 mins of abuse on the phone, or to my face.
Currently we are waiting for blood results, hopefully the Dr will then be able to get her back in, I have already pr- emptied this meeting, but Mother has flatly refused to go in, there's nothing wrong with her.
Sometimes I get so frustrated that I want to shout and tell her that she is the person who has something wrong with her but really hoping that she will accept it from the Doctor. So now we wait.
I have a 18 year old daughter living at home who witnesses all of this so I know that I'm not mad. !!!

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
I'm really sorry to read your comment - sounds so upsetting for you and your daughter. I don't have a clue what triggers the specific hallucinations that my mother suffers - I can sometimes guess. Last night, for example, she was dragged out of bed at 2am by two fat clerics. Sometimes I can see that what happens is a result of where she thinks she is (which is back in university ie in the early 1940s) but the clerics leave me baffled as I don't think she had been watching the news. But few of her hallucinations seem to be as distressing as those your mother is experiencing and taking out on you. I suppose you are the closest to her (not physically) but emotionally and practically so she is focussing on you. Hope the GP comes up with something - I'm assuming you are in touch with SS? Locally we are lucky to have a multi-disciplinary demental support team who are really helpful but you may not have the same. Sue

blue skies

Sep 18, 2015
Update On MOTHER

Well it doesn't get better in some ways its worst. I went away for a long weekend and on my return Mother had called the Police as she told them people were having sex in my flat and she didn't want me to return if it wasn't safe, they duly came checked the property , talked to Mother and then left, as you may be aware I live below my Mother in a flat. I returned at 1am in the morning , her lights were all blazing so I rang her worried that something had happened, she explained it all to me , the next day I had to go to work. That evening a very nice older policeman rang my bell introduced himself and told me what had happened the previous evening, he acknowledged the fact that Mother may have Dementia, I thought thank god you can see it. It has also been noticed by the bank clerk when I have been with Mother as well but she wont do anything about it. Currently the "sun downing" is increasing, Mother can start banging early 8.30pm whilst I'm watching telly or in my study working, I have rung her and asked why and she sates that she can her voices and lots and lots of banging, which of course isn't true. She totally refuses to acknowledge that it may be her, so I'm at the point of pulling my hair out. I cannot get her to the doctors as she has flatly refused and has told then so herself that she doesn't need to attend an appointment , so now I wait , take each day at a time and wish pray and hope.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Would she go for her flu jab with her GP? If so how about telling her it's flu jab time which is true, make the appointment explaining that she needs her jab, but that you have other concerns so that you don't find she's booked to see the practice nurse just for the jab. I'd then put everything in writing to the GP so he or she can see what is going on and take charge of the appointment without your having to raise the issues directly in front of your mum.