1. bridekirk

bridekirk Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    following a lengthy. Of ill health, hello physically mobility and mental health issues (PTSD and associates OCD) I began to experience some confusion and loss of memory over the past year following an operation in hospital. this confusion included things like not knowing what to do when I got to traffic lights not knowing weather red mens go for green meant stop. I was forgetting I have taken the car and would wait for bus and even have to consider which way to go round a roundabout for this reason I stopped driving as I lost some confidence. I then started rememberin bits of conversation I had had recently what could not remember who I had had them with. I also noticed I was having problems with mathematics. I am a 56 year old male with a good educational background. as a mature students 8 years ago I took a b a degree in modern history,nd got a first class with honors so it worries me very much when I only scored 25 following mydoctor reefer ring me for an m m ea test. the questions where very simple but I got a lot wrong and could not seem to count backwards and could only remember 1 of 3 words plus I messed up a diagram. the frustration is making me quite ill tempered. I am a few to see my doctor soon, what in the meantime I am woried out of my mind and I'm scared of what might happen

2. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

welcome to TP
    it is worrying when things seem to go wrong but I'm sure on here you'll find lots of help and advice and support.Well thats been my experience
    Sarah

3. bridekirk

Dec 8, 2011
    thanks Sarah,its good to know I am not alone.I have been trying to evaluate how serious my memory trst scote is prior to seeing doc to try and get some teassurance but it all seems technical anf hasnt helped at all. All I was trying to discover was if it really was a bad score for someone of my age and background but it doesnt seem that simple:(

4. carrie99

carrie99 Registered User

Apr 26, 2009
    Yorkshire
    Memory!

I had a rubbish first assessment when I finally went to get it sorted. My GP immediately sent me for tests of all types. The only physical problem now is that I may have an underactive thyroid - results to follow.

5. piedwarbler

piedwarbler Registered User

Aug 3, 2010
    Female
    South Ribble
    I wouldn't be surprised if PTSD caused the symptoms you describe. Good luck with the investigations and I'll be hoping for the best outcome for you. Take care xx

6. bridekirk

Dec 8, 2011
    thanks for the support guys. Can any of you tell me ehat kind of tests they do?. I had a sleepless night last nigjt as I wa due to see the doc at 9:30 this morning and just had a call cancelling the appt as doc is ill. I really need to have the docs opinion ad the waiting is friving me batty-!!!!!!

7. bridekirk

Dec 8, 2011
    would you believe it. Just got a call from surgery to say my Doctor id ill and they have reschedulef my appt s week ahead so another 7 days of worry:(

8. snedds57

snedds57 Registered User

Jun 15, 2011
    Berwick upon Tweed
    Oh dear ..what a rotten turn of events for you (and the poor sick doctor) I know it's no use to say try not to worry but it's human nature to fret about things. The trouble is stress and depression can cause memory problems too so whatever steps you can take to keep calm and put it out your mind the better. Is there an Alzheimer's society local office near you with a support worker in place? You could talk it out there and perhaps relieve some of the anxiety of waiting. I hope, when you finally get there, you do ok. Keep talking on here...you will find a wealth of support...and no one minds you throwing your rattle out of the pram if that's what's needed!

9. bridekirk

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks snedd , The words of support mean a lt, they really do.Was a bit nervous of ringing the society tbh esp as things aew very much in the air with any diagnosis.It dont help that I Am a born worrier and very much a glass half empty kind of guy lol

10. bridekirk

Dec 8, 2011
    the saga continues

well I got to see my doctor at last and we discussed the results of my m m e test. she has now written to my psychiatrist who is treating me for my OCD and PTSD to see if thete is a connection. I have to go back in mid January so more waiting :(