Poor mam.

Rosie

Jun 10, 2004
South East Wales, UK.
Dear all, I'm posting this in hope someone can help. My poor mam is very poorly, she has had a chest infection, has stopped eating + drinking , they are giving her fluids sub- cut, her chest is dreadful, she is struggling to breathe + yet I still dont get any answers from the nursing staff. I spoke to the ward sister yesterday , I feel she is distressed , obviously by struggling to get air into her lungs, but they feel she is not in pain. I can hardly bare to see my poor mother going through this + not do anything. I know this may sound an arwful thing to ask but surely there must be an end to it all. To me this way of dying is so degrading, I just feel like she is going to drown in her lungs filling with infection, I wish I could do something, but I sit holding her hand , trying to comfort her + praying that her breathe will be the last. I believe she has suffered enough + I just want her to be at peace , is that such an arwful thing ?
I'm leaving now to go to the hospital, the ward sister told me yesterday I could speak to the doctor today but I doubt whether he'll have the answers . How long can this go on? Rosie x

Florence

Mar 18, 2005
Newport, Gwent
Dear Angela, I hope you have had a better day today with your mum. I read your letter and I really feel for you and your mum. Your words seem really distressed and I am hoping that the fact that there are people out here that are thinking of you helps you just a little. So often you are left in the dark about things that are happening to family members while in hospital, you just feel like screaming at someone. Please try to keep a cool head and just be there for your mother, no matter what! Just being there will mean so much to her. Hope all turns out. Take care. :eek:

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Dear Angela

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. My father has AD but fortunatley for now he remains in good health. I have seen your story so many times, as I am a healthcare professional who deals with it every day. You are certainly not alone in your feelings, as all of us want dignity and an end to the suffering. I hope that you take comfort in the fact that she is not in any pain, and is most probably completely unaware of her situation. It is always the family who suffer more, as it is heartbreaking to see a loved one so unwell. My thoughts are with you, and don't feel guilty about your feelings, from Kate.