pooing in the bath

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
mum has become faecally incontinent. We have been to the docs several times and still no idea what is causing it. seems odd that it is just bowel and not bladder. Thoughts have been infection, muscles, impaction. We are as puzzled as we were a year ago. She has just about accepted wearing 'special lady pants' which help a bit.
The last couple of weeks she has been pooing in the bath. I think she thinks she is passing wind and just lies in it. She did realize one time and scooped the poo up on her bath sponge. Tonight as i was cleaning the bath it just hit me and i chucked up in the bath. NOT NICE AT ALL.... cleaning poo and puke up at the end of a tiring day was not fun.
sorry i know this isnt a nice subject. Be very grateful for any advice on how to help mum or how to deal with the mess :confused:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
mum has become faecally incontinent. We have been to the docs several times and still no idea what is causing it. seems odd that it is just bowel and not bladder. Thoughts have been infection, muscles, impaction. We are as puzzled as we were a year ago. She has just about accepted wearing 'special lady pants' which help a bit.
The last couple of weeks she has been pooing in the bath. I think she thinks she is passing wind and just lies in it. She did realize one time and scooped the poo up on her bath sponge. Tonight as i was cleaning the bath it just hit me and i chucked up in the bath. NOT NICE AT ALL.... cleaning poo and puke up at the end of a tiring day was not fun.
sorry i know this isnt a nice subject. Be very grateful for any advice on how to help mum or how to deal with the mess :confused:

Other than encouraging her to sit on the toilet for a while before getting in the bath, I'm afraid I have no advice to offer. But much sympathy.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Spuddle - I wonder if it's because she's warm and relaxed and she just 'lets go'? If she's faecally incontinent at other times perhaps she simply can't help this 'letting go' when she's in the water.

I was trying to think of something practical to help you, and thought of when babies are taken swimming they often wear a special sort of nappy that's suitable for use in the water.

I had a quick google, and found these - scroll down to see the adult ones. There were other sites that I didn't look at, so perhaps you could expand your search to find something that would suit, but it was the UP360 Reusable Adult Swim Briefs that caught my eye - not suitable for urine, but designed to contain solids.

http://www.incywincy.net/acatalog/Swim-Nappies-Adult.html

I know it won't stop the problem, but perhaps they would contain things, so to speak, allowing your mum to still enjoy her bath and be cleaned up afterwards.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
Thanks so much. I don't think there is any chance that mum will wear the pants in the bath. it isnt every time she bathes but it is happening more frequently. I thought it may have been when she was straining to sit up/ get out of the bath. she now has a super duper chair to lower herself in and out and it hasnt helped, though its brilliant to help her out (unfortunately its not so brilliant with poo in the workings).

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mother uses to poo on her shower wheelchair. So just put wheelchair over toilet and shower her.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Oh dear :(. I hope someone else can come up with something to help. Would showering rather than bathing be an option? Not sure if it would make any difference though?

Could you put an old, large, towel in the bottom of the bath for your mum to sit on (assuming she would accept this) so that when the plug was pulled the poo might cling to the towel and be easier to clean?

Racking my brains now!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I had to clean poo from the bathtub once with a Tupperware box. I can laugh about it now! Thing is there is not much you can do if someone has lost control over their bowels. Just try not to make a big deal out of it and send her to the toilet before the bath, though it might be the warm water that stimulates her bowels. You could try giving her Fybogel to regulate bowel movements in case she is straining while sitting on the toilet. That's all I can come up with!