Poll: The person who has dementia is your.....?

The person who has dementia is your ..... ?

• They are your daughter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are your son

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are your wife/female partner

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • They are your husband/male partner

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • They are your mother/mother-in-law

Votes: 89 49.7%
  • They are your father/father-in-law

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • They are your grandmother or great grandmother

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • They are your grandfather or great grandfather

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • They are your friend

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • They are another relation, eg uncle/aunt/cousin

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Here is the second of the new polls.

This time the question is: "The person who has dementia is your... [son/daughter/mother/father/etc]"

N.B. it is NOT "what relation are YOU to the person who has dementia".

I have centred it on the person who has dementia, not the carer.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
connie said:
Do you think it will change the statistics in any way?
No, but it is important that people who do the poll understand exactly what it means and I was simply clarifying... :)

The way I originally posed it, before posting it, there was room for confusion [that's my speciality, sowing confusion]

The wording was not to emphasise any priority, but to clarify.

Last edited:

117katie

Could None of the Above be extended above in the listing, to include Aunt or Uncle?

I wanted to vote earlier but Other didn't really seem to fit, because my Aunt is my Mum's sister, and my Aunt was there the day I was born, so I found it difficult to include her as "Other"!!

Yes, I know I have trouble in that department, but she is more than Other to me!#

Katie:):eek::p

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Katie

only 10 options are possible, but I have amended the last one to be more specific.

If there are other people who fall outside what I have specified, then people can post a reply in the thread and we can change the poll next time we run it.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm surprised that we have had so few responses to this poll! I replied and I've not exactly been a prolific poster lately. Maybe it is because it is less noticeable in this section, although it is obviously the appropriate section for it.

117katie

I Too Am Surprised

...Am also surprised by the few responses, and by the fact that I am the only one with an Aunt/Uncle/Cousin ....

don't know what we can do about that ... but I will think on!

Maybe something like BOLD HIGHLIGHTING ... CAN YOU DO SOUND ALERTS in some way to announce OR EVEN TRUMPET a new POLL?? I know that once upon a time our online webmail used to announce or rather TRUMPET the arrival of a new email. But they then changed that for some unknown reason.

SOUND "PING" might work. Don't know NUFFINK about it, but live in hope, as do we all!!

Katie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Irises, and welcome.

Guess it may be a mite cold in Minnesota right now - I was in Mineapolis/St Paul some years ago and it was freezing.

Please feel free to ask about anything you may wonder about in the area of dementia. Talking Point is based in the UK, so some support services may be different, but dementia knows no national boundaries, so the experience will be recognised by someone here.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Michael, welcome to TP.

My husband has PPA, which is a variant of Pick's, also extremely rare. But your wife is so young, it must be very difficult for you.

Please post on the advice forum and tell us more about yourself, you'll find lots of support here.

Judy Lough

Mar 28, 2008
Scotland
Here is the second of the new polls.

This time the question is: "The person who has dementia is your... [son/daughter/mother/father/etc]" sister

N.B. it is NOT "what relation are YOU to the person who has dementia".

I have centred it on the person who has dementia, not the carer.

Olease help. My sister lives (alone in Harrow) and I am in Edinburgh , Scotland. How can I help at such a distance?

JoanneDJR

Oct 11, 2006
Hi I'm new

Hello everyone, I'm new on here.
My Dad has Alzheimers. I am one of a large collection of children, but the closet one. I find it hard to help because my parents team up on everything even not spending little bits of time apart to give each other a break when they both so clearly need it and depsite being part of a large family they don't seem to confide in anyone else or ask for help when they need it.

Trying my best to balance offering help, wading in and backing off.:eek: Anyone have the tips to give on the art of parenting your parents???

mrennie25@btint

Apr 18, 2008
glasgow
sad day

:( live with my mother in law moved in a year ago to look after her she has alzheimers has had this for four years now its was getting to much for us when we had our own home so we moved in with her to look after her full time but the alzhemiers is now wasteing her away she isant the same person she was she is getting more angry with her self because she cant do things any more i just wish i could take this away for her my husband and myself do all her care and my two kids help out as well the doctors have took her of her medication because it wasnt working any more we get hard days and easy ones i like the ones when you can fet through the whole day without her falling out with us but ther isnt many of them now she was a very active woman who was never in out all the time now she dosent go any where she will only go out if she is going out with us days are hard we dont get much help and other family members dont seem to want to know there answer is a home which make me angry

Annalisa

Jul 28, 2008
Clacton-on-Sea, Essex
My Grandma is 87 and lives in sheltered accommodation alone at the moment. She has a Social Services carer and my mum lives 5 minutes away and provies most of her care. I live 90 minutes away and feel guilty that I can't do enough :(