Poll: age of person when diagnosed

What was the age of the person when they received a diagnosis?

• Diagnosed when younger than 51

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Diagnosed between 51-65 years of age

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • Diagnosed between 66-80 years of age

Votes: 47 39.2%
  • Diagnosed after 80 years

Votes: 24 20.0%

• Total voters

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
We had a poll on the old TP site which looked at the age of people with dementia when they were actually diagnosed.

However, the age ranges were not well chosen [by me] and I thought we might have an updated poll, starting afresh. This will mark the boundary between Young Onset and 'normal' onset.

I propose to make a further poll on ages of the people now, and this will probably follow soon - I would like to have a monthly poll that we can highlight in the front page of the microsite ['Home' in the menu at the top of this page.]

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think this is a very good idea, especially as we are getting an increaseing number of notices of younger people being diagnosed.
It might also be interesting to see how long people are being treated for other conditions, eg. depression, before being sent for scans.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Just listened to your discussion on This Morning and think that from our poll (at the moment) the points you raised were very apt Bruce. One more thought - could the largest reponse in the 'middle' age group be because we as carers are also more likely in that age group to be 'silver surfers'?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi TinaT

We need to bear in mind that the respondents to this poll are self-selecting. It is in no way statistically valid.

It is indicative though - the data is good, though the sample is skewed.

Yes, you are correct, the much older people are less represented because they may not have a carer who has access to the poll.

GrannyT

Nov 27, 2007
London
Both my parents were eventually diagnosed in September 2006, by which time my stepmother was 90 and my dad (who has vascular dementia) was 87.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705