Pointless & inaccurate

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
To all my fellow long suffering members, :eek:

How many years now have we had Civil Partnership as a legally recognised entity? It is a least 4 and more like 5 years yet there is still problems in some of the largest organisations (I mean the NHS) There are spaces for 6 forms of relationship and 16 groups of ethnicity. But there is no Civil Partnership!! I do not expect them to change the forms every 5 minutes, as a businessman I know the cost, but after 4-5years they must have had a reprint and reordered.

Also if collation of this information is so important, then they should do it properly otherwise it is a pointless exercise. :confused: There is a saving there :D oooh if only I could run the NHS!!

I know to some it may seem silly, but for me it is important! It is accurate, it is recognition and it is sensitivity to me and who I am! I am not Single (which is what they normally enter into the Computer) and I am not Married, neither the Church (God forgive them) or the State will recognise as this. I am Civil Partnered and proud of my Partner and our legal status! :)

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Just plain wrong.

I am not entirely sure why the terms marriage and civil partnership should not be merged. I cannot see the difference myself, unless is it is down to the purpose of having children. But then some of my straight friends choose not to have children, and some of my gay friends do have them, so cannot see the difference there either. I guess because I am not religious I see marriage/civil partnership as being the same thing - a commitment to a life partner.

They seem to have no problems adding ethnic status to just about every governement form.

My personal gripe is when they ask for your "christian" name. Another annomoly in a multi-religious country. I always say "I dont have a christian name" which can confuse the issue somewhat.

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
Hi Sue

Thanks for your support. I agree that the whole thing is daft. It is also very political and as you say steeped in religious context rather than an independent secular view is often all too prevalent. Its what I call Band Aid law (rather than leave thing to just settle down they add yet more legislation)

The current reason in this country for Civil Partnership as a separate union is shown below:

"Same-sex marriage is not currently legal in the United Kingdom. Marriage laws vary in the countries of the UK, however they all currently prohibit marriages between same-sex couples. Since 2005, same-sex couples are allowed to enter into civil partnerships, a separate union which provides the legal consequences of marriage"

Civil Partnerships are also forbidden any religious ceremony or wording in the civil ceremony, though this is under review in 2010.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for the definition, but I still dont agree with it.

We can only hope that in years to come we can look back and be aghast at these archaic laws, in the same way that we do with rights for women and going even further back voting rights only for those from a certain social class.

I guess the fact that we can openly discuss these views now provides a small glimmer of hope.

I really feel for you though, especially going through such a sad time with your partner.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Whatever the religious or political thoughts are about civil partnerships, its nonsense that forms requiring 'relationship' should not include this. It is a recognised relationship and should be treated as such.

I know some civil partnerships that are nothing to do with marriage, but purely based on wills and inheritance and they should be recognised too.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you cross out `marriage` and insert `civil partnership` in the same space Robert.
If enough people did this perhaps the forms might be changed.

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
Bunch of Pen Pushing Wasters

Hi Grannie G

I most certainly did cross out and circle my own but its like that sketch on TV when she says "Computer say Noooooooo"

She then says "You can have Single, Married, Divorced, Separated, Partner (Common Law) or Other". I reply but I am a Civil Partner! mmmm "Computer say Nooooo" Then I say I will take the matter up with PALs.

The reply comes somewhat tersely "Yeah you do that" as though I am being extra and unnecessarily awkward!

Of course I have no intention of taking the matter up with PALs as they are even more ineffectual and useless and any moment I shall lose the will to live!!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve no answer to that Robert.

There are many injustices merited out to minorities who seem to have to fight that little bit harder to be heard.

Sadly it`s the majorities who make the rules and too many are blinkered.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Personally when it was something like the NHS where you might need to show some kind of legal relationship to get information, I'd say "married".

The common law option is really odd: my understanding is that while people may think there is such a thing, in England at any rate, there is no such thing as "common law marriage".

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Hi

I thought of you today as I am off to a hospital appointment and just had to check through my pre-printed "Patient Information Form" they had sent me.

I was very pleased to see that my Marital Status showed as: "Married/Civil Partner"

First time I had seen this. Lets hope other hospital trusts get up to speed on this one.

Sue

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
some handy links to show to health and other care professionals:

http://www.healthwithpride.nhs.uk/miscellaneous/patients/

Hi

I thought of you today as I am off to a hospital appointment and just had to check through my pre-printed "Patient Information Form" they had sent me.

I was very pleased to see that my Marital Status showed as: "Married/Civil Partner"

First time I had seen this. Lets hope other hospital trusts get up to speed on this one.

Sue