POA

Denyr24

Dec 29, 2021
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. My sister and I were made power of attorney. Does anyone have experience of two POA disagreeing and what would happen. TIA

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
No personal experience but sadly the forum is full of this problem. It is very difficult to resolve. Getting a mediator involved may be worth a try.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. My sister and I were made power of attorney. Does anyone have experience of two POA disagreeing and what would happen. TIA
Which POA(s) do you have?
Is it to act jointly or joint and separately?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Denyr24
a warm welcome to DTP

it can take time for co Attorneys to come to a way of working together effectively and it's worth finding ways of you communicating with each other and especially with your parents

you mentioned in your other post that it's you and your sister who are Attorneys but that she's away at times, sending you 'instructions' ... next time she's in the country, might you sit down with your parents and have a chat about how they would like you both to support them .... keep in mind that just because someone has a recent diagnosis does not mean they are no longer able to make their own decisions, so it's not necessarily a case of the Attorneys immediately taking full control ... your parents' wishes need to be listened to

it's best to find a way to work together ... the OPG will not want to intervene in family issues and you don't seem to be suggesting that there is a question of anything untoward being done

Denyr24

Dec 29, 2021
hi @Denyr24
a warm welcome to DTP

it can take time for co Attorneys to come to a way of working together effectively and it's worth finding ways of you communicating with each other and especially with your parents

you mentioned in your other post that it's you and your sister who are Attorneys but that she's away at times, sending you 'instructions' ... next time she's in the country, might you sit down with your parents and have a chat about how they would like you both to support them .... keep in mind that just because someone has a recent diagnosis does not mean they are no longer able to make their own decisions, so it's not necessarily a case of the Attorneys immediately taking full control ... your parents' wishes need to be listened to

it's best to find a way to work together ... the OPG will not want to intervene in family issues and you don't seem to be suggesting that there is a question of anything untoward being done
Thank you for your reply. Although my mum is recently diagnosed she is quite far gone unfortunately. It was not on our radar at all due to lock down. x