POA Travel expenses

auntyd

Aug 16, 2021
Hi - I'm new to the forum but have looked at some older posts.

My sister & myself have both Financial & H&W POAs for my Aunt, who has no children of her own. Due to dementia & frequent falls, we needed to move her to a Care Home in March with support from Social Services for her to agree. (She is currently self funding)
My Sister & I each live 50+ miles away from the Care home & her rented cottage. It will not be possible for her to return to the cottage, her condition has quickly deteriorated in the last month & we are working with family to clear the cottage, selling as much as we can in her best interests.
We have each clocked up well over 1000 miles so far in the house clearance visits as my Aunt was a 'collector' & each room was full of boxes

I am aware we are able to claim reasonable travel expenses for undertaking POA duties (but not visits to see our Aunt) I have spoken to OPG who were lovely, but could not advise an a suggested mileage rate - I've seen a few posts suggesting the lower HRMC 25p/mile rate - is the general consensus that this is what people use - I know it's more than the cost of petrol, however it does also reflect wear, tear & depreciation

Thanks in advance

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello @asuntyd and welcome to Dementia Talking Point (DTP). You will find a great deal of support and information here.

As for the mileage charge, I think 25p/mile rate is reasonable. It's approximately what we use here in our company and I think it sounds sensible and realistic. I don't think anyone would come back on you if you claimed such mileage.

auntyd

Aug 16, 2021
Hello @asuntyd and welcome to Dementia Talking Point (DTP). You will find a great deal of support and information here.

As for the mileage charge, I think 25p/mile rate is reasonable. It's approximately what we use here in our company and I think it sounds sensible and realistic. I don't think anyone would come back on you if you claimed such
Thank You @Canadian Joanne for the welcome & reply.
Our Aunt did keep saying 'make sure to take some petrol money' when we were visiting & starting to sort her boxes last summer when she was still independent & we never did , but now we feel the time is right, given the amount of travel & weekends we've invested so far since march