PoA query

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I am in the process of finding a care home for my mum. I have the registered PoA forms but haven't done anything with them yet.

Do I just take the forms to the bank and tell them the situation and that I will need to take over the running of her account, mostly to buy things for her, etc?

What happens then?

I've been nervous about doing this in case they freeze her account for some reason. She does still have the capacity to say she's happy for me to take over.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Is it a registered Lasting Power of Attorney as opposed to a registered Enduring Power of Attorney? If so, it being registered doesn't necessarily mean your mum lacks capacity and won't prevent her from operating the account.

This guidance may help.

CINDYJANE

Feb 9, 2012
Devon/somerset
I am in the process of finding a care home for my mum. I have the registered PoA forms but haven't done anything with them yet.

Do I just take the forms to the bank and tell them the situation and that I will need to take over the running of her account, mostly to buy things for her, etc?

What happens then?

I've been nervous about doing this in case they freeze her account for some reason. She does still have the capacity to say she's happy for me to take over.

I took my mum's Enduring PoA forms to the bank along with passports (mine and hers). Why not make an appointment with a personal banker to discuss your situation first? I'm sure they are not going to freeze her account. If your mum still has capacity, maybe you could become an authorised user on her account instead, if you go into the bank together ? Can you find a sympathetic person in the bank to assist you or if you don't know any of the staff, then try seeing one about some minor detail to see how they handle your situation. Then if you mention your concerns about your mum and her PoA they can advise you of what happens next.
One word of warning, you need to make sure the names on your and your mum's bank accounts are exactly the same as on your passports. Ours were slightly different and it would have caused awful problems if the very helpful assistant manager (Barclays) hadn't altered our bank account details first!

Pat12ka

Oct 28, 2013

What happens then?

I made an appointment with Mums branch and took in the LPA documents, the most recent bank statement, Aldo my passport and a utility bill as proof of my identity. The member of staff was very helpful. She asked me if mum had the capacity to run the bank account, and the answer to this was obviously no. It was decided that the account would be put into my name, my mum wasn't consulted by the bank on any of this. I now have a debit card in my name, and a cheque book and bank statements that are in my name as LPA for Mrs ..............

The account wasn't frozen, and the new bank card and cheque book came through the post quite quickly. Hope everything is straight forward for you.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks x

This sounds quite promising. I think I would prefer to not bother mum with this, think she might be nervous going to the bank with me. I don't think she has a passport, what else could I take?

I have her last statement though.

It will just be one less thing to worry about if I could get it sorted quite easily.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
It may be that the bank already has evidence of your mum's name and address (as she is the account holder) but they may need evidence of yours unless you are already an account holder with the same bank.

I would make an appointment, take along evidence of your name and address (e.g. Passport and recent bank statement or utility bill) and the LPA or a certified copy. If you don't have a certified copy of the LPA make sure the bank copy it there and then and give you back the original.

Aquamanda

Jan 8, 2012
I had to do this and it was really straightforward. You will need to book an appointment with the bank but only because it takes a little bit of time. You just need to say 'I need to register a Power of Attorney on behalf of my mother'. Ask them what you need to bring with you. Normally a passport and household bill as proof of i.d. and home address. You need to take the original POA document with you. They shouldn't ask probing questions re her capacity. If they do, just say she does not have the capacity to handle her finances, and will be going into a care home etc. All they do when you go there, is copy your proof of i.d., copy the POA form and then you will get a letter about a week later confirming you have POA over her accounts. They may also give you your own cheque book and bank card to use on the accounts.
One thing that was really useful that we did before registering the poa was that I took my mother with me to the bank (no appnt necessary) and changed her address to my home address. They said as she was with me that was fine. That meant that all her financial documents then came addressed to her but to my address, before I even put the POA in place with the banks. Also it means you won't have to mess around giving the care home address in the future, as everything will come to you.

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
I did recently did this for my Mum as she went into a care home last October. I went to the bank first to make an appointment & ask what they needs me to take, they wanted the original or a certified copy of the POA, proof of Id (took my passport) & a utility bill with Mums details on. They took a copy of everything, they filled out there for for me & I just signed it. The lady also asked if I wanted online banking as well, so this was also put on the form. Within a week, I got letter confirming it was now in place, then another 2 letter with the details for online banking.

Lima

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
Our solicitor certified it was a true copy of the original document. Fortunately they are keeping the original for us, so if we need any more he will do it for us.
The bank took a copy of the certified one, so I presumes they would take a copy of the original. Best if you ask them to make sure.

Lima

Trevillion

Feb 6, 2011
I would agree. ...we have found that having 2 certified copies is useful as multiple different parties (solicitors, banks, care homes) ask for one and it's good if you don't have to tramp around with the original. ..

Good luck and hope the banks can give you what you need quickly and efficiently!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Talking Point mobile app

Patv82

Jan 10, 2014
Illinois, USA
Using POA for everything

It is good that you have gotten the POA in place. When I stepped up to help my Mother go permanently to a care facility, I took over everything using the POA. Telephones, house, car payments, all medical insurance and bills, everything. I was very careful who got a certified copy - most would accept a copy and I required online access for all the accounts. Your situation may be different but you may find it helpful later to have access to everything. I kept notes on everything and try to stay organzied as things come in the mail or bills are due. Getting started is the hardest part - once you develop a plan and gain access, things will look easier. Don't try to do it all yourself.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks all!

Hi Patv82. I am currently looking for a care home for mum. She still has capacity to make her own decisions (mostly) but I will need access to her account to pay for things for her, etc. It will make things much easier. I guess I just don't want to make any mistakes. I agree about being organised. I definitely need to be more organised!