poa or lpo

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi everyone trying to sort out health and financila issue sfor my mum and dad. What is the difference between power of attorny and lasting power of attorny? Is one better then the other?

Lucky xx

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Basically it's a matter of what you have power over. You now get Enduring POA and Lasting POA. The former gives you the ability to make decisions regarding finances on behalf of another person. The Lasting POA extends your abilities, meaning that you are also able to make medical decisions on behalf of the person and gives you access to medical notes, etc in order to come to an informed decision on their behalf.
We have Enduring POA for Dad as we hope our wishes would not be ignored regarding PEG feeds and other issues, as he has end stage dementia and our views should be considered. However,we have no legal rights to stop medical intervention- other people may want this right to ensure they are in control of what happens, and for this you would require Lasting POA.

Hope this makes sense!!

Kate.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Kate
Laws have been changed

You can still register EPA's with c o p filled out before laws changed
Now the only forms you can get are
LPA's
There are two types of L P A
One for finance one for health

I would advise taking out both, tho it does mean paying twice .

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Thanks Lin - shows I've been on this road longer than I thought!!!!

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Thanks everyone s
i read somewhere that sometimes you may get the cost wavered is this right? Is it best to do it through the soilcitor or the office of public guardian and do the forms yourself

Lucky x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
Why not download the forms and have a look. If you decide to diy

Remember that all the i's need to be dotted and t' s crossed and perhaps needs to be worded in a specific way. Also get a couple of people who are good with forms , perhaps age uk or Alz Society to advise and check them

Am sure others here who have used solicitor or diy will be along soon..

We had old EPA and used a solicitor,

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hello

I've just seen you didn't really get many answers to your question so thought I'd reply.

I filled out the LPA forms (both financial and welfare) for my mother myself. You have to make sure you answer every question or cross out the whole page. Make sure every signature is provided. If your parent has capacity to understand what they're doing, you shouldn't have much problem. You will need a Certificate Provider to sign to say they understand (an old family friend, doctor, such as that).

We filled them out, and got them registered with no problems. If you use a solicitor the fees seem to vary quite a lot for what is really quite straightforward, provided you read it all carefully.

You have to pay to register, I think it was £250 for both of them.

Hope all goes well with it.

R

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Just to add that you can get the fee reduced/wavered from the OPG, it is means tested but easy to do.Solicitors charge a fortune but we paid about £250 each. When my bf and I get POA I will do them myself.