PoA Health & Wellbeing

Daughter in law 13

Apr 3, 2019
We have a POA financial for my 93 year old father in law who lives in a care home and has dementia. We do not have a POA Health and Wellbeing as we didn't think it was necessary as the next of kin. After a recent 3 weeks stay in hospital for a urinary infection my father in law was returned to the care home in a terribly distressing state of neglect, with no report of the treatment received during his hospital stay. We wrote to the Health authority to complain and to raise the safeguarding issues only to be told that we could not raise a complaint on my father in law's behalf as we do not hold a POA Health & Wellbeing. Surely this cannot be correct! (The safeguarding issues raised will be looked into.) We cannot get any information as to the treatment received and why my father in law's health and wellbeing deteriorated so much during his hospital stay.
Are there any other routes we can follow?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Daughter in law 13.

That must be very distressing for everyone. May I suggest that a quick call to the experts on the helpline may guide you. The details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

There is also live on-line advice, just follow the link I've put below

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It's an awful situation to be in and good to hear that the safeguarding issues will actually be looked into. In my Mum’s case, having raised safeguarding concerns with regards her hospital treatment/care, the safeguarding team simply replied that they “were not involved in hospital care management” and didn't want to know the details..

From personal experience, PALS were happy to listen to and try to address concerns raised when Mum was a patient but when concerns had still not been addressed on discharge they didn't want to know. It seems that once someone has left the hospital PALS responsibility ends. For info, they never asked me if I had H&W POA but maybe other PALS teams do.

with no report of the treatment received during his hospital stay.

If you mean that your father in law or the care home were not provided with a discharge letter then I would try contacting PALS to request a copy of this. They may be willing to provide this as hospitals are required to provide these on discharge. Rather than 'complain' about a discharge letter not being issued just let them know that this wasn't provided to the care home/relatives when your father in law was discharged so could they please provide a copy as it is needed to assist with his care plan. From personal experience discharge letters can vary in standard, can contain very little information about care/treatment provided and can sometimes be inaccurate so it may not help you much but you could at least try to obtain a copy.

If you want to go down the route of requesting the hospital records check the hospital website for details about their process. When I did this the process was quite simple. There was a data request form to complete and if you apply on behalf of someone else you just need to provide their written permission (and their ID) – a typed letter which your father in law has signed would be sufficient, providing he is able to do this. Good luck , and I hope that your father in law is recovering from his ordeal.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
We have a POA financial for my 93 year old father in law who lives in a care home and has dementia. We do not have a POA Health and Wellbeing as we didn't think it was necessary as the next of kin. After a recent 3 weeks stay in hospital for a urinary infection my father in law was returned to the care home in a terribly distressing state of neglect, with no report of the treatment received during his hospital stay. We wrote to the Health authority to complain and to raise the safeguarding issues only to be told that we could not raise a complaint on my father in law's behalf as we do not hold a POA Health & Wellbeing. Surely this cannot be correct! (The safeguarding issues raised will be looked into.) We cannot get any information as to the treatment received and why my father in law's health and wellbeing deteriorated so much during his hospital stay.
Are there any other routes we can follow?
My husband and I had POA H and W for my mother-in-law ,but we had mixed responses from health professionals when presented with this document. When she was in hospital a DNAR document was filled out by staff without our knowledge, even though the hospital had a copy of POA. As it was we agreed with this, but it was only when she was in a care home, that the GP discussed her treatment with my husband, as by then the doctor was satisfied she had lost capacity. I'm not sure legally where you stand without POA. As others have said, difficult to raise a complaint in this situation