POA for health and welfare

B72

Jul 21, 2018
We have arranged POA for financial affairs, what is it for health and welfare? I didn’t know there was such a thing. Do we need a solicitor for this?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As Shedrech says, very similar form to Legal and financial POA. We did both at the same time for my mum.

I would strongly recommend getting it in place, whilst in theory as next of kin you should be considered and consulted it gives you an extra bit of clout.

I was surprised how quick the hospital staff took notice when I had been ignored, when I mentioned I held it.

Unlike the financial and legal one, it can only come into play when the PWD has lost capacity to make the relevant decision.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Thank you both for this. We had POA years ago for finance, but I had never heard of it for health and welfare. Our solicitor at that time didn’t mention it. We’ll do it very soon. I doubt we need a solicitor for this.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Just had an appointment with a solicitor to do this. It has come into force since we took out legal and financial POA. The solicitor looked at all our documentation, wills, POA etc, and some updates are necessary.

So thank you, TP. We thought we’d covered everything, now we know that we need to check and up date every so often. Very important for those who are left dealing with everything...