POA are you due a refund?

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
We got an email and the refund is in the bank. But I only found out when I was searching for something else as the email had gone into my junk mail, so be aware it can end up there.

BIWO

Sep 1, 2016
Bedfordshire
I had this on my 'to do' list - re-read this thread and still seems a right faff - we are still waiting for 'grant of probate' so will be a few months yet, before seeing any money. Just wondering if anyone has received a phone call back yet?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I had this on my 'to do' list - re-read this thread and still seems a right faff - we are still waiting for 'grant of probate' so will be a few months yet, before seeing any money. Just wondering if anyone has received a phone call back yet?
Nope! Or reply to email chasing! Last time I tried to phone I was no.84 in the queue!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
For those waiting for a phone call from OPG as a refund claim for deceased cannot be made online, I have been sent an email reply to my chasing to tell me my documents have been verified and someone will hopefully phone this week. I won't hold my breath but at least I am in their system!

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
Haven't been on here for a while and WOW you save us money already. I knew about the decrease in the cost of LPA but hadn't read anywhere about a refund being given. Just filled in the forms online and await the money going into my sisters account. Thanks peeps. Now about some help with my head pains......

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have just had my phone call and should received deceased donor poa refund soon. The questions she asked could have been done online just confirming info she already had!:rolleyes: I asked the reason for the differing refund amounts and it is roughly as I thought..they have to estimate for each year how many applications they will receive...difficult I would say!..and work out their admin costs based on that. The refund is less or more depending on how many applications they actually received that particular year.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I applied for POA for Property and Finance back in Nov 2015 for my dad and I paid £110 fee. I saw this post (thank you) and applied for the refund and a couple of weeks ago I got a message to say a refund had been approved of £19.22. I was glad to get something back, but they only paid half the fee even though the full fee had been paid. I did originally try applying for a reduced fee but I couldn't provide the evidence they required as my dad had thrown all his paperwork away, one of the reasons for applying for a POA in the first place. I've thought about chasing this up with them, but I really can't be bothered.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
IT'S A MIRACLE!

Out of the blue I just received a phone call from the POA refunds team where a stressed out and befuddled person ("sorry, it's the end of my working day") asked me questions she already had the answers to, and I had to spell my name and postcode several times.

I should be getting the refund by 28 June. She said they now have a few more people handling claims but it's still a three year project.

Their email confirming the claim promptly ended up in spam. :rolleyes:

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I put in an application for dad and he just got the one lot back today ..anyone else? Do I need to chase for the other one or will it just come in the next day or two?

Also for my mum, I've just read it has to be the executor which I'm not, so has the exec got to prove they are exec? I thought I could do it but it appears not

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
I put in an application for dad and he just got the one lot back today ..anyone else? Do I need to chase for the other one or will it just come in the next day or two?

Also for my mum, I've just read it has to be the executor which I'm not, so has the exec got to prove they are exec? I thought I could do it but it appears not

The same happened to me. I rang and they raised it as a complaint on my behalf. They are now processing it but it may take several weeks they say. So you need to tell then otherwise you will never get the second one. Good luck!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Delays in the telephone system for reclaiming fees has been in the news recently so it may be worth highlighting again how to do this on line. I have done it myself recently and been told to expect a refund - if approved - across all 4 Lasting Powers of Attorney (2 each for my wife and me) by early July 2018.

The link is given somewhere in the preceding pages of this post but for ease of reference I am including it again here:

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney-refund

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Delays in the telephone system for reclaiming fees has been in the news recently so it may be worth highlighting again how to do this on line. I have done it myself recently and been told to expect a refund - if approved - across all 4 Lasting Powers of Attorney (2 each for my wife and me) by early July 2018.

The link is given somewhere in the preceding pages of this post but for ease of reference I am including it again here:

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney-refund
Exception is that for deceased donor poa refund claims you cannot do it online and have to phone

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They designed their system so poorly. I get that they have to check all the death certificates etc individually but it still doesn't follow that you have to phone then they take down some details then give you an email address to send the documents to, which they then ignore for months on end before calling you and asking questions they have the answers to already. They should have a section on their online form for this where you can tick that the donor is deceased, upload documents into, say who the beneficiary is and give their account details. My John could have designed a better software!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
They designed their system so poorly. I get that they have to check all the death certificates etc individually but it still doesn't follow that you have to phone then they take down some details then give you an email address to send the documents to, which they then ignore for months on end before calling you and asking questions they have the answers to already. They should have a section on their online form for this where you can tick that the donor is deceased, upload documents into, say who the beneficiary is and give their account details. My John could have designed a better software!
Totally agree Beate

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I applied ages ago and got half of dads back but have never had the other half, just an email saying they are dealing with my request and apologies for the delay. Heard nothing about mums but my brother is dealing as he is executor.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am also still waiting further to their phone call 10 weeks ago. However last week I received a letter confirming my notification that someone I am not connected with has died! Not sure how cross referencing didn't pick up that mistake. Anyway I phoned to tell them and check my refund was still in the system and was told they are so far behind but hopefully during June!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Checked my account today to see that refund has finally got in. According to the .gov website I should have received £37 + 0.5% interest. I received £36.70. Worth complaining?