POA and The Post Office

Kingfisher1

May 7, 2015
Kent
I have POA for my elderly relative and have been registering it with the various banks he belongs to without any issues so far. However, he has a large sum of money sitting in an Instant Access account with the post office that I would like to move into an account that actually generates a little interest as he does not need to access the money. He also has an ISA, and his pension going in which I also need access to as he is unable to get out of the house anymore.

I took the POA into my local main PO but was told that there was nobody there that could deal with it and it had to be done by post. This is going to mean sending off the original POA plus my original birth certificate, driving licence etc as they won't accept copies unless they are certified, and that's going to cost a lot of money to have all those items certified. They said they would send me the application form in the post and it duly arrived yesterday but I don't understand it at all because it is just a form which says 'Post Office Online Savings Account - Power of Attorney/Deputyship Application Form' and someone has crossed through the bit which says 'Online' in pencil. It then goes on to ask for details, including asking about the donor's capacity and why a representative is required to access the account, and things about amount of deposit and method of payment - I don't understand any of it, and there is no part on the form which covers his pension or ISA. It says to return the completed application form, documents, and a cheque for the initial deposit made payable to the donor's name to an address in Hertfordshire! I'm completely confused - can anyone help?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I know nothing about post office accounts but please never ever send the original LPA document to anyone! If it gets lost, you're stuffed. Certified copies can cost as little as £5 per document t, just make sure the solicitor stamps and signs every page.

To be honest, I would give them a call and ask for clarification about their process.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Assuming the pension is state pension, is it being paid into an ordinary Post Office Current account or a DWP Post Office Card account?

If the latter I think you should be contacting the DWP rather than the PO for authority to handle the account. The PO are only acting as agent for the DWP.

Have you asked if copies of documents certified by your local PO are satisfactory?

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I think >this< may be the form you've been sent. It seems to be for when you're wanting to open an account with the Post Office, not close one.

I would do as Beate says and give them a call.

Kingfisher1

May 7, 2015
Kent
Beats, I can't find anywhere that will do a copy for less than £25. I had one copy done but the solicitor only stamped the first page and when I enquired about it I was told because it counts as one document then only the first page needs stamping

Kingfisher1

May 7, 2015
Kent
Nitram, yes it is a DWP card account. Thank you for that information, I didn't realise I needed to contact the DWP.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I took the POA into my local main PO but was told that there was nobody there that could deal with it.
Did this PO have an Id checking facility, where they can do passports and other ID document checks? If so they should have been able to do it there and then as long as you have all the necessary ID and paperwork. Smaller branches cannot.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
For the pension, if you have registered the LPA with the DWP you can ask the DWP to make future payments into a bank that have accepted the LPA. This might produce a cash flow quicker than going through the PO hoops.

Kingfisher1

May 7, 2015
Kent
Did this PO have an Id checking facility, where they can do passports and other ID document checks? If so they should have been able to do it there and then as long as you have all the necessary ID and paperwork. Smaller branches cannot.

I don't know Pete, it is the main post office in my town so I'm guessing they would have such a facility. Nobody seemed to know anything though, it took ages just for them to find someone who knew about the form, and I got the distinct impression that it was all a huge inconvenience to them.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A copy of an LPA certified by the PO is not regarded as a certified copy by the OPG, if anybody accepts it as such it's just your good luck. There is a chance that the PO/Bank of Ireland might except it but it would have been certified by a Post Office Counters employee not a PO/Bank of Ireland employee.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You want a form to allow you to handle existing accounts with your LPA, it may be a single application or one for each account. The form you have won't work at all because it has an * meaning must be filled in against things like opening deposit and will be bounced on receipt. If multiple applications you should be able to bundle them together with one set of supporting documentation.

You could try using
http://www.bank-of-ireland.co.uk/contact-us/query/
to ask what to do.
Don't give account details, just say that the want to be able to manage an ISA, a savings account,....using your Lasting Power Of Attorney. Also say that if it is not the correct contact point to tell you the correct email.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
A few years back I tried to open a PO account. I supplied the paperwork but was told it was wrong, they wanted a certified copies of my birth certificate, marriage certificate, driving licence and my passport. That would have cost me £100 just to open the account so I gave up.

They don't seem to know how to function if is it more than pressing button A to make something happen.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think that the PO are at all clued up about PoA.
I wanted to get mums post redirected to me when she went into a CH and tried to do it online as I was working then. I phoned up the helpdesk with a query and they asked me if I had PoA. I told them that I have CoP (because she wouldnt sign PoA and then it was too late), but they said I had to have PoA!!!!! I explained that I had been unable to get PoA and that CoP gave me the same authority, but they just kept saying that CoP wasnt good enough and I had to get PoA :eek::mad:

Eventually I downloaded the form and took all the ID plus the CoP certificate round to the local PO in person, said nothing, paid up, and the girl ticked all the boxes and it went through.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the query form gets you nowhere move up the food chain, email the CEO.
Be brief and factual.

Attachments

• 2015-07-15_142422.jpg
    2015-07-15_142422.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 896

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Kingfisher1,

I have just come back from my local PO that has ID verification. Cashier had not got a clue but luckily the lady dishing out the Euro's had just gone through the process for her Mom. She could not slag off the PO enough for such a useless system.:eek:

For the DWP account you need to become a "permanent agent" where you will be given access to the account and your own card. For this you need a form P6163 which is available only at a PO. Can you believe they did not have one in stock.:rolleyes: So might be best to ring first to make sure. You cannot download one.

This form plus a copy of the POA, all pages, 2 copies of ID(neither need to be certified however see below) sent to
Post office Customer Service Centre
PO Box 567 Preston
PR1 2WX.

For the ISA you need to write to them at
Post Office Money Savings
PO Box 5179
Brighton
BN50 9UY

Cover letter, details of account, certified copies of 2 ID and certified copy of POA. If your PO has ID verification they will certify ID and POA copies for you free of charge. As the lady found out even her staff did not know this but if you ring 08001697500 the call centre staff apparently know (its on the screen) and can instruct them.

Hope that helps and good luck.:)

missmarple

Jan 14, 2013
Finding this most interesting as my Dad has a small amount of money in a PO account. Also went to my local PO with POA plus account details and sure enough was told they couldn't deal with it there. Needed to contact some other department. At that point i gave up.
I agree the PO needs to sort its act out re POA.