PoA and building

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Hi-
Does anyone know if, after we have PoA, we can use my MIL's money to build an extension to our house for her to have a downstairs bedroom & bathroom?
Or does the PoA prevent us in some way?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I don't think the OPG would object as long as the expenditure was not excessive in relation to MIL's finances, but best to ask them for a definitive answer customerservices@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk

If it ever comes to an LA financial assessment you might have to convince them that the expenditure was reasonable.

Don't forget that if the extension is solely for Mil's use you should be able to get VAT relief https://www.gov.uk/vat-builders/disabled-people .You need a builder prepared to do the paperwork.

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Thank you for your reply.
I did not know about the VAT relief on the building works & will look into that.
Thanks again for the help!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Cinder, welcome to TP
We discussed this topic a few time, there's a link below to a recent discussion and links to some fact sheets on it.
If you put "extension" into the search box (top right) you'll find all the discussions we've had, there was quite a lengthy one (but I can't find it right now) where the implications were discussed fully with respect to; would it be deprivation of assets if you extended your house but your MIL needed to go into care not long after, so you end up with an extension and you're MIL's assets have been spent?
A lot of more knowledgeable people on here made comments, I'll see if I can find it later and post a link.
K

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France
I would just say that people with dementia can go downhill very fast.

6 months ago my mother was living alone, and we talked about having her live in a granny flat with us. She refused, preferring to stay in her flat... but now it would be impossible. She had a fall and she needs to be in a nursing home... and the fees are very high.

It would depend partly on your MIL's assets - but if she did have to go into care, the LA could claim there was deprivation of assets...?

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Not to sound too doom and gloom but we did just this last August for my dad. I paid for our garage to be converted into a annexe for him. We thought he'd be around for a couple of years at least. Dad entered his annexe in august walking talking eating still going day care. By December 6th he had deteriorated so much he died. Dementia can take someone away so quickly.
Dad's annexe sits empty now. None of us can bear to use it. I'm glad we didn't use dad's money because of the short time he used the annexe I would of felt awful.

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Thank you all for your replies.
MiL has considerable assets due to the sale of her house (which has appreciated in value greatly since purchase).
We would be using about 1/4 of the total pot so it shouldn't impact on care home fees. She has a good work pension which would cover 75% of the cost.
She has only just been diagnosed and is still in the mild stage, but we don't want to start something, find we need to activate PoA and are then stuck!