1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

    Sign up to join the community, or Log in if you're already a member.

    If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

POA Access To Funds

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by harry100, May 3, 2018.

  1. harry100

    harry100 New member

    Apr 5, 2018
    My husband and two sisters have POA Financial and Welfare (can act individually or jointly) for my FIL diagnosed with Alzheimers 2 years ago and who for the past 8 weeks has been living quite happily with us and has said he doesn't want to go into care home. One sister took it upon herself to register with the banks, dwp etc and has for the past two years dealt with his financial matters and my husband has left her to it basically. Now both sisters want to move him into a care home with his partner who has vascular dementia she is on delayed discharge pending funding and suitable care home hence the reason he has been living with us. I assume they could each access the funds if they so wished? Do they each have to get withdrawers rights from the OPG or do they just take the POA to the bank. Reason I ask is sister as allocated us £150/month for out of pocket expenses which we do not think is enough.
  2. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Host

    Dec 15, 2012
    hello @harry100
    each Attorney has the right to register with the bank - though I guess if each one did so and started to access the accounts, managing the finances may become a bit chaotic
    might your husband work out a fair share of household expenses (there's no reason for you both to be out of pocket because your f-I-l is living with you) and reasonable personal expenses (anything that is bought for your f-I-l's individual use) and show that to his sister to evidence that £150 a month isn't sufficient
    personally I'd think carefully about moving the 2 together (especially if this may include sharing a room) but that's something for your f-I-l to consider also

Share This Page