PNFA Frontotemporal Dementia - seize the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomC

Jul 16, 2015
Hi all
My wife who is 52, was diagnosed in December with Progressive non fluent Aphasia, a form of FTD which is affecting her speech and her ability to communicate verbally. There are other subtle behavioral issues which are developing, but it is primarily her speech which is an issue.
Whilst this is a devastating blow to us and our family, there are positives which I would like to share.
We have been married for 30 years but I feel we are now closer than ever, we are constantly telling each other "I love you" and are hugging each other all the time. I have reduced my working life in half and spend at least half a day each day with her, just being together.
We have a "date night (or afternoon)" every Wednesday where we go to the cinema and have a bite to eat and even though the communication is limited we just enjoy each others company.
We laugh a lot and she seems to laugh at my stupid jokes and daft ways more now than she ever did before!
We have fully embraced the "live each day to the maximum" adage, and I had forgotten how much enjoyment can be had from the simple things in life such as a stroll into town to have a coffee and "people watch" for an hour.
My wife doesn't know it yet but I am arranging for us to renew our wedding vows in HMS Drake in Plymouth (We met in the Navy!) in August, and I can't wait! Sod the expense it's the memories which count!
One of the best things is we bought a sign which hangs in the bedroom and says "Always kiss me goodnight" and we do! Every night I say "Goodnight I love you" and she replies "Infinity" - who needs anything more than that?
I don't care what the future holds, we live in the moment... tomorrow never comes, it's always today.
I hope you all find positives in your situations too X :)

Linzi W

Aug 15, 2021
Hi all
My wife who is 52, was diagnosed in December with Progressive non fluent Aphasia, a form of FTD which is affecting her speech and her ability to communicate verbally. There are other subtle behavioral issues which are developing, but it is primarily her speech which is an issue.
Whilst this is a devastating blow to us and our family, there are positives which I would like to share.
We have been married for 30 years but I feel we are now closer than ever, we are constantly telling each other "I love you" and are hugging each other all the time. I have reduced my working life in half and spend at least half a day each day with her, just being together.
We have a "date night (or afternoon)" every Wednesday where we go to the cinema and have a bite to eat and even though the communication is limited we just enjoy each others company.
We laugh a lot and she seems to laugh at my stupid jokes and daft ways more now than she ever did before!
We have fully embraced the "live each day to the maximum" adage, and I had forgotten how much enjoyment can be had from the simple things in life such as a stroll into town to have a coffee and "people watch" for an hour.
My wife doesn't know it yet but I am arranging for us to renew our wedding vows in HMS Drake in Plymouth (We met in the Navy!) in August, and I can't wait! Sod the expense it's the memories which count!
One of the best things is we bought a sign which hangs in the bedroom and says "Always kiss me goodnight" and we do! Every night I say "Goodnight I love you" and she replies "Infinity" - who needs anything more than that?
I don't care what the future holds, we live in the moment... tomorrow never comes, it's always today.
I hope you all find positives in your situations too X :)

Status
Not open for further replies.