pneumonia

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I was away staying with friends for 2 weeks. Hubby got taken into hospital from the nursing home during my second week. I got notified by phone though but was told they thought it was ether a chest or urine infection. I came home on Friday and today spent 3 hrs with him. Was told he wasnt eating or drinking. I asked them if i could give it a try. I tried to give him some water but he only took 2 sips he had difficulty swallowing. He also cant take any tablets.The doc told me they are giving antibiotics for a week. So that finishes on Monday. They also said he is better than when he first arrived but he isnt out of the woods yet.Its pneumonia. They are also giving him fluids at the moment.This has happened because of his swallowing difficulty. Its now a case of waiting. If he does pull though the doc also said this will keep hapening from now. He is so thin now.They are going to see if he gets any swallowing back next week and what happens when the antibiotics is finished.Have i been away ?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh chip, my heart bleeds for you. Please try to be logical...this would have happened even if you had not been away.

I realise that somehow hubby's latest illness negates any respite you may have had.

Swallowing can be such a problem...let us hope that in future all meds can be given in liquid form (they can all be prescribed this way). When the antibiotics click in I pray you will see a change in hubby.

My love to you, please let us know how things continue.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I know I cannot help but wanted to say my thoughts are with you throught this 'waiting' time.

I do hope the antibiotics work soon.
Best wishes Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Chip, you are having such a difficult time, I`m so sorry. You know this would have happened whether you were there or not. Please don`t start feeling guilty.
I hope the antibiotics begin to work soon.
Take care
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Chip

I'm so sorry. You've been through so much, and it's just sod's law that this should happen while you were away.

I do hope the antibiotics work for your husband. These infections are horrendous in someone with dementia.

Please let us know how you get on.

Love,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Chip,

I would just like to add my support and send caring thoughts to you and your hubby.

Best Wishes, Taffy.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
He still can't eat today thats now 7 days without food. Fluids are by IV. I dread the phone going now and the not knowing.Feeling low today.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Dear Chip

We are all here for you and hoping things will improve.

Sending you a (((((((((((HUG)))))))))))

Linda x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip, there's not much I can say, just sending you a big hug.

Love,

Attachments

• hug 3.gif
    hug 3.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 439

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Thanks all your prayers were answered. He has started to eat and drink they are sending him back to the nursing home tomorrow, although he is weak so will just have to wait and see.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Good news, chip! It's great that your husband is eating again.

Let's hope he picks up quickly once he's back in his NH.

Love

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I am so pleased with the news chip.

It is the first step in the right direction. Thanks for letting us know. I will be thinking of you both tomorrow.

Take care now.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
He is so weak. Managed half a mashed banana and they are giving him mashed potato and gravy for tea. He is in bed though. They are going to get him up tomorrow and get a physio to see him. They say he is high risk from falls. They also said we will try and get some strenth back to him the next two weeks will tell.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
He has good days of which he can only take yogurts and also has swallowing pronlems. He had asperation pneumoia, and is high risk of it reoccuring. He can't walk now ether. Been told its final stages. He also gets sleepy. It's happened so quickly. It's now just a matter of time. I'm not sleeping too well now.