Pneumonia

Lilmissangel

Nov 5, 2019
My granda was rushed to hospital last Sunday with pneumonia, he is in the late stages of alzheimer's. Hes been bedridden since may and the doctors say theres nothing they can do as antibiotics are not working do he is now receiving palliative/comfort care only. He hasn't ate or drank and this is the 8th day. Does anyone know how long he can survive without fluids? It's awful watching him suffer, he us also on syringe driver of morphine 24/7. We are taking turns to stay with him as we dont want him to be alone.
TIA

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
He hasn't ate or drank and this is the 8th day. Does anyone know how long he can survive without fluids? It's awful watching him suffer, he us also on syringe driver of morphine 24/7. We are taking turns to stay with him as we dont want him to be alone.

A distressing situation which many members will have experienced.
Nobody can give an answer to your question, everybody is different, however there can't be many more days left.

Rest assured that with the syringe driver he should be comfortable and pain free, it is you that is suffering

One thing that may cause additional distress is Cheyne-Stokes breathing where the person stops breathing for several seconds and then starts again. This does not distress the person.

Hold his hand and talk to him.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’m so sorry to read your news @Lilmissangel. It’s so hard to watch our loved ones fade away. I'm afraid nobody can say how long so I wish you all strength to get through this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Lilmissangel
I am so sorry to hear about your granda. This is a very hard time and no-one knows exactly how long it will last. My mum go to End of Life after she fell and fractured her hip - sje went 17 days with no food or fluids, but most do not go that long.
It seems unbekievable that they can go so long, but their body is slowly shutting down and does not require food or fluid.
Please do not make the mistake of thinking that they are staarving to death - their bodies are already dying and that is why they stop.eating and drinking.

As your granda is already on a syringe driver it probably means that it wont be too long now for him. He will still be able to hear, so make sure you say the important things - I love you, thank you, Im sorry.

Lilmissangel

Nov 5, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. I just dont know how much longer we all can watch him like this. He seems comfortable and not in pain which is good but still hurts seeing him like this as he is like a dad to me and watching my nanny is so much pain is just horrible. It just makes us feel so useless. We have been talking to him and holding his hand I just hope he knows we are with him xx

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I have been where you are and it’s incredibly stressful. Know that he is being looked after. You must visit when you feel the need to but not for him as he probably isn’t aware. Get family to set up a rota so he isn’t alone and you can go home confident he’s being cared for.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My granda was rushed to hospital last Sunday with pneumonia, he is in the late stages of alzheimer's. Hes been bedridden since may and the doctors say theres nothing they can do as antibiotics are not working do he is now receiving palliative/comfort care only. He hasn't ate or drank and this is the 8th day. Does anyone know how long he can survive without fluids? It's awful watching him suffer, he us also on syringe driver of morphine 24/7. We are taking turns to stay with him as we dont want him to be alone.
TIA
When it happened to my dad, who had Parkinson’s dementia it took weeks while I held his hand an kept wetting his lips with cotton buds. He went so peacefully at the end and, just before he went I am sure he squeezed my hand ever so slightly.

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
TIA
People can go on for a quite a while without fluids the body is remarkable but very hard for you watching your loved one, make sure he is getting lots of good mouthcare to ease the dry mouth, the syringe driver will help to keep him comfortable,but make sure pain is addressed cos he can have top ups, in the end stages of life food and fluids become less important so try not to worry if he does not want anything.staying with him is a good idea you know him best. And it will be reassurance for him, take care of yourself too.