pneumonia Jab and a few other concerns

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am wonder if anyone heard of the pneumonia Jab , like the flu Jab .

Just that the nurse came around about mum pads and she ask me if I wanted to give mum the Flu Jab so I said yes , then she said has mum ever had the pneumonia Jab, I said that I never new they was one .

she went on to say they give the injection every 10 years , she was going to check if mum ever had one, but I said she would of had no reason to have one 10 years ago as she would of only been 66 and if she not had it shall let have the pneumonia Jab.

she notices mum walking was getting worse and went on to tell me how bad it can get that she be bed ridden and would have wash down in beds and how they can go into a fetal piston [sp] and can't bend they arms . where I told her to stop , because I had seen it on TV .

her point in telling me this is because mum can not get upstairs to have a bath to wash her hair , so is having wash down, down stairs toilet, so when social worker told me that mum could have bath in social services day center, an option to consider rather them making walk in shower that in 2 years time mum may not be able to use, I was not to happy about that so shall tell her that at a meet we are having soon.

so was talking to nurse about it , so she told me the story above also saying how in a few years time mum won't be able to use shower, so as they bed bath people , they no issue with mum have wash down every day

so few hours after her leaving me . me going clothes shopping , got home and felt like having a temper tantrum on the floor could
visualize me having one, because why my mum this can't be for real, but never just put music on so then felt better .

so back to my question has anyone else had it pneumonia jab for they love one who has dementia / AZ have they had any side effects

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
When my mother first moved into a retirement home, prior to the nursing home, she was given the pneumonia jab then, along with the flu shot. She's had her flu shot every year since & my husband & I also. There were no side effects that I saw.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Maggie, I had the pneumonia jab with my flu jab three years ago, I think this was the first time they were offered John had it at the same time. There were no side effects, and as you say, they last for 10 years.

I think they're a good idea. As you know, people with dementia are very prone to infection in the later stages, I was very pleased John had had his when he was in hospital, at least that was one infection I didn't have to worry about.

I'd let your mum have it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Margarita,

When we first moved here 5 years ago and our GP was treating Dhiren for Diabetes, before AD was diagnosed, he gave him the pneumonia jab with the flu jab.

There were no side effects and as Hazel said it is one thing less to worry about.
I wouldn`t hesitate to let your mother have it, especially as I know she`s diabetic too.

Love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes Margarita - I suggest you go ahead not just for your Mum but if possible for you too. We had ours some two years ago. No side effects.

Your Mum is certainly eligible for one but ask if you are - because you are a carer - thus a VERY IMPORTANT PERSON - they may agree to giving you one too.

Take care Jan

lizzie2596

Jul 3, 2007
Hi Margarita

My Mum had a pneumonia jab a few years ago and there were no problems at all. Like the flu jab it is not 100% effective but anything that reduces the chance of getting pneumonia has to be a good thing.

When I went for my Flu jab last Saturday they offered me one as well so I thought 'Why not' and went ahead. Unfortunately I've had a bit of a reaction that has caused a tender red patch on my arm. It has been quite sore but is settling down now. The practice nurse told me it was probably due to the injection going into fatty tissue rather than muscle - even more reason to lose weight!!!

I would still recommend you get it done.

Liz x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Will the care home arrange the usual flu jab? Mum always had it. Or is it something I have to arrange myself? The pneumonia jab seems a good idea too, never heard of it.

Margaret

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yes, the care home will arrange the flu jab, but you should mention it to them -- some patients don't want it. You could also mention the pneumonia jab, it's usually given at the same time as the flu jab, but again you'd have to tell them that your mum hasn't had one.