Please read: Talking Point updates

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm in a quandry as I'm not sure where to post about a worry I have.
a)It is to do with medication but not medication for dementia specifically.
b) If I post under the title of My partner has dementia, others who might be able to help won't see it. Previously I would just have posted under the support forum.
c) Loo's and my thread is in the Tea room and I don't feel there's much point posting it there. It isn't visited often as it is.
d)He was described as having 'severe' dementia by the hospital when he went into a home over 2 years ago but I don't know what stage he is at because he has vascular dementia. So by severe, I assume later stage but he's not dying and my query could apply to other stages too.
I keep looking up and down the list of forums and just want an answer but where do I put it! In the meantime, I have been awake most of the night worrying! Guess I'll just have to take a stab at a forum!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...I'm in a quandary as I'm not sure where to post about a worry I have..."

If you wish to start a thread and you think the subject is relavant to multiple forums you can choose one forum for the post and then post a link to that post in the other forum(s).

To avoid fragmentation all responses should be made to the post and not the link.
Instead of just posting a link you could post:-

See <link>
Please respond in forum containing post

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thanks Izzy and nitram. I've been looking at the threads in the different forums for guidance. The 'Later stage' seems to be very much more actual approaching end of life so was going for the 'Middle stage' of dementia forum but see a thread there about someone who hasn't even been diagnosed yet! How on earth is that 'middle stage' ?! Even more confusing!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...was going for the 'Middle stage' of dementia forum but see a thread there about someone who hasn't even been diagnosed yet! How on earth is that 'middle stage' ?! Even more confusing!..."

Education by mod action required?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Izzy and nitram. I've been looking at the threads in the different forums for guidance. The 'Later stage' seems to be very much more actual approaching end of life so was going for the 'Middle stage' of dementia forum but see a thread there about someone who hasn't even been diagnosed yet! How on earth is that 'middle stage' ?! Even more confusing!

That's the thing with dementia, Mum had all of the symptoms, was probably in mid stages but refused to let the Memory man see her because he mentioned the possibility of Alzheimers and Dementia on his first assessment.

He couldn't diagnose as she only saw him once, but she was doing things like screaming her chops off in a hospital ward causing upset to the other patients.

So there we were with all of the symptoms, all of the chaos but no diagnosis at all though it was as plain as the nose on your face.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So there we were with all of the symptoms, all of the chaos but no diagnosis at all though it was as plain as the nose on your face.
Not the one to which I was referring! but then, who am I to judge ? What might seem early to some might seem middle to others and so on. Tthat's the problem . I can understand that the very end stage should be separate and probabaly Just diagnosed but really think the rest should be together under one heading.

Anyway, I've decided to keep to the familiar and have posted on my usual thread - well, Loo's and mine of course!

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
It's wherever you feel most comfortable posting Saffie. If you post in one forum, and then think it would be better in another forum, the mods will be happy to move it for you.

If I post under the title of My partner has dementia, others who might be able to help won't see it. Previously I would just have posted under the support forum.

I'm not sure if this will be the case, although time will tell. Like many people I tend to click on Most Recent Posts and don't search by forum. If I see a question, say about medication, that I think I can help with or have experience of I wouldn't hesitate to post no matter which forum it's in.

I've only just found my way here. When I followed my bookmark to TP, I got to my usual board to find large black message saying "FORUM CLOSING SOON", with a message about using "one of the new forums, as appropriate", but no indication what they were or how to find them. I managed not to notice the very discreet little box labelled "Announcement", which refers to "talking point updates". I looked to see if there was a Sticky message announcing changes: no.

Please put a sticky message, to help those of us who don't notice the very discreet little announcement box. I posted a message asking about the closing, but it was moved to a board where it doesn't seem the least bit useful.

And talking about Stickies: there aren't any at the top of "I care for a person with dementia". Surely the existing stickies from the old main board should be copied over there? I'm particularly interested in the fate of the list of abbreviations I've nurtured over the years (though less so recently, I confess), as I think it's useful for carers (and probably for the users of other boards).

Haven't yet explored the other changes, though I don't spend a lot of time browsing the boards at present: Mother is amazingly stable (12 years on Aricept!), and life goes on in its weird and stressful way. Pam

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm not sure if this will be the case, although time will tell. Like many people I tend to click on Most Recent Posts and don't search by forum. If I see a question, say about medication, that I think I can help with or have experience of I wouldn't hesitate to post no matter which forum it's in.
Thanks Sue. Yes, I go to Recent Posts too but I've been surprised by the number of people who say they don't so just wanted opinions of others. I scan up from the earliest Recent posts to the newest, posting when it seems appropriate to do so. Takes me ages and so I have to limit myself or i'd be here all day! I've been here most of the morning already!

Margaret938

Well i had no problems at all i always use the Todays posts and it is just the same,you get all the latest posts and don't really need to go anywhere else except if you want to find a post that you have participated in then you just go on "my posts" at the top ,

I like the new TP ,

Jeany x

This is what I have been doing Jeany, mainly because I was not sure of what else to do, and it works for me.
Margaret

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Personally, I think it is a great pity that we've lost the concept of 'support for people with dementia and their carers'. The inclusiveness of that title and some of the threads was so refreshing in a world where the 'them' and 'us' approach is ubiquitous.

I hope some way might be found to regularly remind all members of the reality that some members are people with dementia and that they are able and willing to share their experience and wisdom with us.

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
Thanks Sue. Yes, I go to Recent Posts too but I've been surprised by the number of people who say they don't so just wanted opinions of others. I scan up from the earliest Recent posts to the newest, posting when it seems appropriate to do so. Takes me ages and so I have to limit myself or i'd be here all day! I've been here most of the morning already!

I always used to go to the forum I was interested in, mainly I nearly always 'support for people with dementia and their carers'.

Lima

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Personally, I think it is a great pity that we've lost the concept of 'support for people with dementia and their carers'. The inclusiveness of that title and some of the threads was so refreshing in a world where the 'them' and 'us' approach is ubiquitous.

I hope some way might be found to regularly remind all members of the reality that some members are people with dementia and that they are able and willing to share their experience and wisdom with us.

I have to agree Stanley.. it's not a good concept, but we will struggle on regardless ;)

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London

Hi Stanley

Thanks for your comments. I agree that having people with dementia and their carers posting in the same areas of the forum can be immensely valuable, and we'd never want to lose this.

Several of the sub-forums in Support from other members (as well as most of the other areas of TP - e.g. 'Information and Resources' and the Tea Room) are still aimed at both people with dementia and their carers, for example:

• Younger people with dementia and their carers
  • Lesbian and gay people with dementia and their carers
  • Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis
  • Recently diagnosed
  • Mid-stages of dementia: support and care
I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat

Funnily enough Stanley, the forum still with the most people viewing with at the moment (61 people) even though its in "archive" & closing soon is 'support for people with dementia and their carers'.

Lima

Last edited:

Robstick

May 4, 2013
To Admins re threads

Hi

Will current threads on "CLOSING SOON: Support for people with dementia and their carers" be moved to other forums when this forum is closed?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi

Will current threads on "CLOSING SOON: Support for people with dementia and their carers" be moved to other forums when this forum is closed?

Hi there. Yes, active threads will be moved. In fact quite a lot have already been moved. Threads that are not currently active will not be moved by default, but a member can ask that the thread is moved and we will move it.

For more details see here http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?59561-Please-read-Talking-Point-updates

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
I have just spotted something, which I think could be improved

when I click on, my contacts and inbox, in the drop down box it says inbox, thats fine but to check if you have any new messages,unless you have signed up to be notified while on TP, you actually have to go into your inbox to see if their are any new messages

before the changes
you didnt have to go into your inbox, if I recall correctly, when the cursor hovered over messages or whatever it was called , (sorry to be so vague) you were informed whether or not their were any new messages, without having to go into your inbox

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife